T-Shirt Vest








Just in time to wear for our warmest day yet, Silas has his first little mama-made sweater. It's the T-Shirt Vest knit in Cascade 220 wool. This was the perfect choice for a first garment project for this novice. It's knit from the yoke down, in-the-round, meaning that there was very little purling (yay!) and no seaming (double yay!). I was able to get it done in a couple of evenings after Silas went to bed and it was just so satisfying. I learned so much from this project about sizing and starting to puzzle out how garments are constructed. I'm very excited that there's a toddler version of the pattern that I can make for the little guy next fall!

In the evenings I'm dividing my time between knitting and reading Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life by Karen Armstrong. It intentionally mirrors the 12 steps of AA to give us a program by which to break the addiction to ego from which we all suffer. It calls upon all religions to return to their roots of compassion and love. So far, I think its message is pretty powerful and if I actually allow myself the time to follow its suggestions, rather than just reading through them, I believe it could be a very effective way to live a life focused on empathy and mindfulness.

Linking up with Ginny at Small Things.

24 comments:

  1. The vest is so cute, but I think the model has something to do with it. He's really starting to toddle around isn't he?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, Courtney, Courtney, Silas looks like such a big boy in his Mama knit! He and it are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious little baby. He is gorgeous! and the sweater vest is beautiful! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so cute!! great job Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great vest for a handsome boy! I'm in love with in-the-round seamless sweaters these days too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet. I wish they made the vest for adults too. I had to laugh about you finishing the vest for the warmest day of the year so far. We're in the 70's now...for March!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute vest and Silas is looking so big these days :) Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an adorable vest! And adorable little boys goes almost without saying. I think I better add that pattern to my Ravelry too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's so cute and his little sweater vest fits him just perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how cute is he in his vest? Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the vest! I am a HUGE fan of knitting in the round and no seaming, it makes me very happy. Just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a toddler in handknits. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. too cute! i just finished up my first knitted sweater vest for my boy too. no one can rock a sweater vest better than these little tots :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Besides the adorable sweater vest, I took interest in your efforts to live a life of compassion and love. That just warmed my heart! I'm going to keep that in mind in what I do and where I go. So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the vest!!! So cute. Your book sounds beautiful and I am adding to my list, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww, it's gorgeous and your boy is such a cutie! I love a kid in a vest!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute little boy and a lovely vest! The book sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. just beautiful courtney, how sweet your knitting and your baby is!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an adorable little boy Silas is. I love his vest and the colour is just lovely. Jacinta

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I love this! I have a little niece or nephew coming in the fall, and have been trying to find a pattern I like. This one I very much like :-) I haven't heard of that book, but it sounds really interesting. I might need to check it out when my book list is pared down a bit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is perfect vest weather isn't it? Your vest came out really nice.

    ReplyDelete