Noodles and Greens Stir Fry


We've been doing something new since Silas joined our dinner table. We've been forgoing the menus and shopping lists and instead, I keep some staples on hand and just buy one of every vegetable at the store and try to build something out of it. This almost always works to the satisfaction of all involved and, honestly, it was motivated more out of a lack of time to build menus than anything else. This means that I default to a lot of standbys -- stir frys, fried rice, pizza, salads, etc. -- and am having to get creative to make them interesting. The Noodles and Greens Stir Fry that we had last night was amazing. It was really tasty and came together lightening quick; my top two criteria. It is also a good way to include a lot of leafy greens in a meal, something that I'm trying to do much more of. We do eat meat, but rarely, and I still sometimes struggle to find recipes that are single-dish meals, meat-free, and are still satisfying. This one hit all the marks.

Noodles and Greens Stir Fry

4 cloves garlic, minced
2 dried red chili peppers, minced
2-3 heads baby bok choy, stems and leaves cut into ribbons
1 bunch lactinato kale, stems removed, chopped
1 bunch noodles (I found mine in the freezer section of my Asian market, you can substitute udon or soba, or, heck, spaghetti if you want)
2 TBS. Hoisin sauce
1 (generous) TBS. soy sauce
1 green onion, chopped
toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
peanut oil, for frying

1. Prepare noodles according to package directions. Rinse with cold water to stop them from over-cooking.
2. In a wok, heat the peanut oil until it ripples.
3. Add garlic and peppers and stir fry for 20-30 seconds.
4. Add greens and stir fry until wilted, about 3-5 minutes.
5. Add the cooked noodles and stir fry to re-heat, 1-2 minutes.
6. Add sauces and stir to mix.
7. Transfer to bowls, garnish with green onion and sesame seeds.
8. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. That sounds so delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Courtney and will be preparing it in my home tomorrow night! I have everything on hand except the bok choy, but I do have some baby cabbage heads that I think I can substitute. I love anything green!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! We've actually switched to menu planning to help save time figuring out what to make during the week.

    We don't invest much time in it -- just a few minutes sitting down at the end of the weekend, looking at what ingredients we have to work with, if there's anything in particular we haven't made in awhile that we want, and whether there are any nights we need particularly fast/easy meals.

    With both of us working and the baby, it helps to have a basic plan, because we try to make sure we have leftovers for every weekday so our lunches are covered, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delcious! It's so perfect once those greens start coming in our csa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish my kids would eat that! Phoebe is in a phase where anything that is green and leafy she immediately throws from her high chair in disgust. It's pretty funny actually, but I hope she decides to eat them again.. we eat a lot of greens around here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This just looks amazing.

    I might have to whip this up here at home!

    amelia

    ReplyDelete