A Life Sustained Sponsor: Newtknees Designs

Please welcome A Life Sustained sponsor: Newtknees Designs!



Amy felts adorable Waldorf-inspired treasures. In her words:


My name is Amy and I live in mid-coast Maine with my ever-loving husband, four children -- ages 6, 4, and year old twins (!), and my cat Finny BooBoo. We live in a rural town that’s close enough to the ocean to enjoy, but far enough away that we don’t get stuck in summer traffic. I love to grow things, (namely vegetables but we are going to brave some chickens this year!) in the summer and craft and cook all winter long.


Tell us about your journey to becoming an artist/maker of things.

After college, where I studied marine biology and not art, I ran off to sea.  I worked and sailed on research and education boats from the Great Lakes to South America.  Like all good things, my time at sea ended and I landed back home in Maine.  I’ve always enjoyed working with my hands…cooking, mechanics, painting, boats, and I’ve always had an artistic bent. 

It wasn’t until I stopped working for “the man” and I became an at-home mom that I got super crafty. I realized that my working life had kept my hands and mind busy enough and that with my new life as a mother, I was now craving that creative outlet.  Also, like so many other new mothers before me, I wanted handmade natural toys and items for my new baby.  I took a few classes in sculpture and graphic art, I got better acquainted with my sewing machine and then discovered needle felting. 


I was introduced to needle felting and wet felting wool a few years ago while working at a fund raiser for our Waldorf kindergarten.  I was amazed at how you could take little fluffs of wool and poke them with a needle and sculpt anything you could imagine.  Suddenly, wool wasn’t just for knitting sweaters anymore. 


What inspires you?

My inspiration comes from colors, textures, images all around me, wonderfully cliché things like nature and my sweet sweet children, the way the sun shines on their hair, the way they like to discover little surprises (like fluffy chicks hidden in wool eggs!), our love of fairies and their tiny world, furry bunnies, the list is kind of endless…

  

What do you like most about the Waldorf philosophy?

I love the gentle and nurturing qualities of the Waldorf philosophy. It doesn’t push kids to become little adults, it lets them be kids. They are encouraged to be knights and fairies, to jump in puddles and run through the woods before learning how to spell cat or what 2 + 2 equals. I like the use of natural materials for play and learning, like play silks and wood blocks and I really love the wet on wet watercolor painting! My son comes home with absolutely gorgeous paintings that he is doing in his kindergarten now. I’m sure to run out of wall space soon.



Tell us about your favorite item in your shop and share your process for designing/making it.

My favorite item in my shop right now is a tough call. I love the play silks for the amount of endless enjoyment and creativity they inspire in my children. I love the eggs with chicks and bunnies because they are so dang cute! I love the walnut babies because they make me think of my own new baby twins. I have new items I’m working on too… oh to have more hours in a day!




Amy is generously offering to one lucky A Life Sustained reader a baby blue egg with an 11x11 pink play silk! Just leave a comment on this post to be entered in the random drawing to win. Comments will be closed in the evening of March 17 and a winner will be announced in this post shortly thereafter.

Get two additional entries! First, you can add Newtknees to your favorites. Second, you can share this giveaway on either Facebook or Twitter. Remember to leave a comment for each "extra" so that they can be counted. Comments closed!

Congratulations, Jenna!
"Oh my daughter would love this :)"

36 comments:

  1. It's adorable! Thanks for the introduction to Amy and her beautiful art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I liked you on etsy! What a lovely shop you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys would love this egg! What a beautiful shop! Thanks for the opportunity to win one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to add this shop to my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Thanks for the chance.

    lovelydomesticdiva (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are family members excluded from the prize? What's up sister-in-law! Mighty proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can enter!! Thanks Bill!!

      Delete
  8. Wow, you have great ideas and a real gift for creativity. Maybe I can win that egg for one of my grandchildren!
    Love your stuff.

    Christine Hart

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's very cute. Thanks for the cchance.

    sweetascandy579 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely!

    My children are similarly spaced- when my twins were born the older two were 6.5 and just turned 4. Kudos for doing all this with young kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This would be wonderful to win! :)
    I love all the photos!

    Kindly,
    katy

    thecountryblossom at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my daughter would love this :)

    Jenna
    callherhappy.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I <3 her on Etsy!

    Jenna
    callherhappy.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tweeted it :)
    https://twitter.com/#!/callherhappy/status/179989372018495489

    Jenna
    @callherhappy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great.

    sparmeland(at)optonline(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hearted the shop on Etsy

    Etsy Name: sparmeland

    sparmeland(at)optonline(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the giveaway!~
    iluvpolkapie at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my daughter would love this! So cute!

    hrfarley at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the giveaway!Please enter me.
    goldiez at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Favorited you on etsy as goldiez.
    goldiez at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tweeted:
    https://twitter.com/#!/goldiez/status/180315178347397120
    goldiez at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so adorable!
    zoe hunter lee
    madforfashion at aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Added to my faves on etsy

    zoe hunter
    madforfashion at aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Shared on my facebook page
    zoe hunter lee
    madforfashion at aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a sweet idea for a baby gift. Or just a Happy Spring gift. Love the colors of the egg and silk.
    jhbalvin at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. krisj_27@hotmail.com

    I LOVE this! Super adorable, especially the pears!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Everything is so cute!

    pennymindingmom (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Favourited shop!

    pennymindingmom (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Shared on facebook

    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=388498997829062&id=100002760471352

    pennymindingmom (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete