Hurricane Hat





In a flurry of unprecedented knitting speed, this hat was on and off the needles in just a day or two. The little purl detail was perfect to give a bit of visual interest without being too fussy or complicated. This Hurricane Hat in the softest cotton in my stash has already found its new home with a dear friend of mine who is undergoing her second chemo treatment today. She has demonstrated a truly positive spirit in the face of such adversity and a level of grace that is so very inspiring. We should all be so brave.

Over the years it's been interesting to watch the phases that my friends and I have gone through, seemingly as a group. There were the summers filled with weddings in the years right after college when it seemed that everyone I knew was getting married. Shortly after that came the babies. A few years later, a couple of divorces. I never thought that illness would be one of those life milestones, but unfortunately it has been. Friends in their twenties and now early thirties have dealt with lymphona, testicular cancer, diabetes, and breast cancer. It seems as if something in the world is amiss. I really can't wrap my mind around it, to be honest. How can people so young and otherwise seemingly so healthy get so very sick? I just don't understand. So, we just hold each other close, count our blessings, and make sure to say "I love you" as often as possible.

Linking up with Ginny today at Small Things.

Please forgive the smudgy photographs! Those are Silas fingerprints that I didn't notice until the photos were uploaded and the hat was already in the mail! 

10 comments:

  1. Lovely hat- what a beautiful blue. Sending positive thoughts to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great hat Courtney, I love the colour. As above, I'm sending positive thoughts to your friend, I understand that chemo treatment can be very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hat is beautiful. I know that you have put a prayer and love in every stitch and that will help get your friend through this.

    My mother is a three - that's right, I said three - time cancer survivor. I like to tell people that she kicked cancer's butt. She was at stage III with ovarian cancer when she was diagnosed and the phrase that has always resonated with me was when she said "I have cancer...it doesn't have me." The journey ahead will not be an easy one, but it is winnable. I'm sending prayers, positive thoughts, good vibrations, strong mojo and anything else that will help to your friend. Watching is hard too, so if you need a virtual ear or shoulder, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, such hard things. But lovely of you to send some handmade love along to one of the friends going through it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courtney, what a lovely hat to make for your friend. There is so much that I don't understand either, but I do know that we all need to be here for each other, offering love and support. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry about your friends and their health issues. I wonder as well as to why we have to face such sad serious diseases. Your hat is beautiful and so are you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the hat and the color!

    sorry to hear about your friends, hoping they are all well and on the road to a full recovery soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blessings to your friend....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cotton hat will be perfect for her....made with love also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the Hurricane hat is my favorite hat pattern. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete