Food Vices


In our journey towards eating more whole foods and cutting out conventionally made junk, I've come to a couple of realizations. The first is that it's not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Homemade really does taste better and making that switch has been nothing short of a flavor awakening. With a little planning and a good attitude about spending some time in the kitchen, the whole process is fun rather than laborious.

The second is that when you share your home with other people, compromise has to be on the menu. It would be fair to say that a majority of our family's food philosophy has originated with me. Steve is a willing co-conspirator and frequently thanks me for the effort that I put into our meal planning, but he readily admits that if it were just him, he would default to whatever was most convenient. He'll occasionally eat fast food, which is something that I just won't do. From the very beginning I've made it a priority to honor his food choices with the hope that he will honor mine. There's really nothing to be gained from nagging him about it or getting upset about it. We're different people with different priorities and that's okay.

There are a few particular food items that he is reluctant to give up and I've had to find a way to be accepting and supportive of these vices. Pictured above are the "big three." They are all things that, for a number of reasons, I would rather not bring into our home. I love my husband and don't want him to eat unhealthy junk, for one. I don't want to financially support the companies that make them, for two. And I will not let Silas eat them and I want to avoid Daddy-gets-to-eat-it-so-why-can't-I struggles, for three (something that we've already had to deal with).

To Steve's credit, he has been willing to try alternatives. We've tried making homemade ranch dressing and done taste tests of all the organic brands out there, but none of them do it for him quite the way Hidden Valley does. He was actually a fan of the organic pancake syrup that I got for him (he won't eat straight up maple syrup for some crazy reason), but he said that he doesn't enjoy it enough to justify the triple increase in cost. And he would try homemade sparkling water if we ever got around to buying a home carbonation system. But for now, we just keep on and I remember to be thankful that I have a husband who is so very willing to try new things; who is kind and grateful that I make him dinner, no matter what it is; and who is supportive of the life that we've chosen to live together.

Do you have any food vices that you can't/won't give up?

11 comments:

  1. Hmmm . . . I'm trying to mentally go through our fridge and pantry to identify any vices. I'm not coming up with many things that I would consider "vices," exactly, but items that we could make at home and reduce packaging, like soy milk and crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bottle of that same dressing in my fridge since I have one son who puts it on everything. [Shudder]!
    I think over all my eating habits are pretty good, but I have gone back to drinking coffee in the mornings and probably always will since it is something I enjoy.
    Like you I never, ever, eat fast food, but my guys do. They know my feelings on the whole thing so at least the trash is thrown away before they come home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coffee....and more coffee....I'm a pretty healthy eater, but the rest of my family would eat junk food all the time if I let them. I made a pasta and chicken dish last night and the noses headed to the air because it had green stuff in it....spinach. It also had cheese, so the boys ate it...hubby, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I love to indulge in the occasional junk food binge fest. We eat very healthy and almost never have junk food in the house, so I don't even feel guilty about the occasional binge. It is just too much fun!

    As for the home carbonation system, my husband bought me a Sodastream for Christmas a few years ago and we LOVE it. Both my sons counted seltzer among there first words! In fact, we only rarely drink uncarbonated water anymore, but I think that is mostly because our water here is so high in minerals that it tastes awful without the bubbles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sure. I made a chocolate cake this week that is definitely in the vice category! So far, I'm not ready to say I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate chocolate chocolate! I've mostly stopped buying packaged cookies, but I can't seem to do without homemade chocolate chip delights. Wish I could kick the cookie habit. My husband is a carbonated beverage person, too, and I was very happy the day he decided that sparking water with lemon was more satisfying than sugary soda. And while we're talking about food, thanks again for the tip on the whole-grain bread recipe in Feeding the Whole Family. I made my first batch today and it was the best bread we've had in a long time. I almost couldn't bear how good it smelled as it was baking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We go through junk phases, but we do pretty well overall. Definitely look into a soda maker. We got one a few years back and it gets used every single day. We were going through a lot of canned soda water, that of course ALWAYS has additives....now we just drink plain ol tap water that's been carbonated. So much better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. we love our sodastream and make sparkling water with lime almost every night. yum!
    My vice is ice cream. I make my own sometimes, but a lot of times I make the splurge purchase for a flavor I can't easily make on my own.... We do get kinds without growth hormones or corn syrup, but I know that it still is not good for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my vice: chocolate
    my husband: coke + any snack that is salty and crunchy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Overall, we eat healthy, but we do buy a lot of desserts--I hate baking. My husband is a soda junkie, but I only let him bring it home occasionally. Otherwise, he only gets it when he's out. I don't like soda or carbonation. I drink nothing but water and sometimes orange juice (I don't like milk by itself). I've been trying to move toward more all-natural products lately. Having an 18-month-old helps motivate me.

    I have a friend who is in the same exact boat you are in with your husband. She gets thrilled if he ever gives her healthy meals 5 stars!

    ReplyDelete