Yarn Along | Hat


Knitting: I'm almost finished with a birthday hat for the little guy using leftover yarn. I'm not sure exactly how it will look in the end -- there may be a third color in there to finish it off. The final ingredient to make it complete would be some cold and snow.

Reading: On the way back to the library is Knit Green, a book about eco-friendly knitting choices with some patterns thrown in. I skimmed it very quickly, but I definitely walked away with some helpful tidbits. I really didn't know that cotton has been bred to grow in colors other than white. It also grows in green, red, and several shades of brown. How did I not know this?

Linking up with Ginny at Small Things.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! I didn't know that about cotton either! I have a second cousin that is a cotton farmer in Mississippi and I need to ask him if he knows this!
    Happy Yarn Along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested what you find out from your cousin!

      Delete
  2. Huh, I didn't know that about cotton either. I like what I can see of your hat, btw. Scrap projects are always fun - I just read "Stashbuster Knits" actually, and it had lots of good ideas about combining odd leftover balls of yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the hat will be wonderful when done. Then we can see your wee one model it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to get to a point in my knitting where I can just make up a pattern. I can change an existing one, but haven't jumped in yet about making one from scratch. Hope you get some snow so it'll be used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know it, either. Sounds kinda weird, actually.
    The hat looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wowzers, I did not know that about cotton either! The more you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cotton grows in red and green? I love making "leftover" hats for the wee ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that either about cotton. Wow, you learn something new everyday!

    ReplyDelete