Thrifting


I don't think that Silas has inherited my thrifting gene. Or, if he has, it has yet to be expressed. He enjoys playing with the tags when I look at clothes at Goodwill, but as soon as I stray to housewares, he gets bored, bored, bored. Perhaps he's in cahoots with Steve to keep me from bringing home any more dishware. Sorry, fellas, it's going to take more than that.

I must have a dearth of pottery in my home, because that's what I've been drawn to lately; this set of glasses and little jug coming home with me on my last trip out. Plus I scored this back issue of Found Magazine. Are you familiar? I've been a lover of it from way back, but could never justify its purchase. But, for 88 cents I couldn't say no. The whole magazine is filled with notes and photographs that people find and then submit. I love, love, love this concept. My absolute favorite are the lists that people make. What a window into someone's psyche, huh? 

When I worked at the bookstore in college we used to find the most random things in textbooks that students would sell back at the end of the semester: checks, birthday cards, love letters, photographs of drunken debacles. I have several that I've kept all these years with the intention of submitting, but I never have. I even have a "found" email that randomly showed up in my inbox one day in the late 90s and was clearly written by a grandparent who was just becoming familiar with the technology. It opened with "my fishbox boom bang." The rest made about as much sense.

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea...I love finding lists and notes in library books, they really are a window into someone's life.
    Love your pottery glasses and jug. I love thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. neatest magazine! I had never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the draw toward pottery as well and really think it means I should have a kiln of my own!
    I have heard of Found, but I have never read it. I love to find old letters tucked into used book that I buy. I have several letter's dated right before WW II which are written so beautifully, but they are a little sad too as I know what the future was to hold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome haul. Isn't thrifting so fulfilling? I'll have to check out that magazine, it sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my, word. I have a cup just like those little cream ones! I couldn't tell from your post, are they thrifted finds? I loved mine, until it cracked. Now it holds a little dolly in my room. Beautiful... wherever they came from!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cups are a great find!! I would have scooped those up for sure.

    There is something so fulfilling about finding a good thrifted treasure, it just feels so much better than buying new.

    Its the hunt for the goods that gets me every time.

    amelia

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so lucky to have found the cups, they are so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great finds- I love the pottery- I just brought back a bunch of pyrex and told my husband I needed him to build me shelves to put it all on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your finds! I used to manage a Christian bookstore, and we'd find divorce papers in the donated love and marriage books. Ironic, yet sad. Your post makes me wanna go hit the thrift shops! I've been loving copper pieces lately.

    ReplyDelete