One (and Thirty-Two)






Last week, my little baby completed his first trip around the sun. My little Silas turned one. Surrounded by family, we spent a little time singing, a little time opening gifts, a little time eating, and a lot of time listening to my little chatterbox "talk" about whatever was on his mind. It was a full day. He spent nearly an hour at bedtime lying in my arms as I rocked slowly, just babbling away. I think he needed to work through all the exciting events of the day before he could fall asleep.

I tried to keep my list of birthday "goals" short and doable. I released a lot of expectations along the way in order to focus on keeping our celebration simple and true to "us." It was important to me that there be a mama-made birthday crown (I used the tutorial in The Creative Family as a guide) and a birthday bunting. The crown just made it -- I was sewing as the guests arrived. I wanted to have a cake option that I felt comfortable actually feeding to Silas (I made a whole grain millet cake with sweet potato frosting -- recipes in Feeding the Whole Family). I wanted his gifts from us to be handmade and useful -- his knitted blanket and new hat finished in time to keep him toasty warm. But most of all, we wanted him to be surrounded by those who love him and to spend time together in our home. Success on all fronts.

The individual days of this past year have been long. Some almost unbearably so. But, the year itself has flown by so very quickly. When I think back to holding my tiny baby...to the feelings of helplessness, fear, being overwhelmed and exhausted...to the little body that fit in the crook of my arm...I really couldn't envision one year down the road to see the sweet, crawling, cruising, babbling, signing, smiling little boy who now sits on my hip. Happy first birthday, my dear, sweet Silas.

And today marks my own birthday. Thirty-two. Steve told me that I am now "almost forty." Ahem. There is a beautiful gentle snow falling, making a perfect ambiance for my annual walk by the river to see the last of the bald eagles. This will be the first time that I take Silas with me to share in this February tradition. One of many that I hope to continue for years to come.

14 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you and your sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a sweet way to spend your birthday! happy birthday to you and silas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to you and to Silas Courtney! Try not to blink too often or the 40's will be here before you know it and Silas will be asking for the car keys. I speak from experience to trust me on this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Bday to Silas-it sounds like you and Steve made his birthday a very special one.
    And happy birthday to you- I don't think you are almost forty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to you and to your little Silas! I cannot believe he is one already-time flies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Happy Birthday!!! So much to celebrate - wishing your family all the best in the year to come! Christina G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to you both! Sounds like a wonderful first birthday for Silas. Hoping yours is just as wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to both of you. Sounds like you had a lovely set of days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to you! And to Silas! Looks like you had a lovely, warm and meaningful celebration. My daughter and I share a birthday week, too--if I forget how old I am, I just add 30 to her age (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday, Courtney!

    And happy first birthday to Silas! It looks like a wonderful time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to you both! From a fellow aquarian. :)

    So glad you had a lovely time celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 1st Birthday to Silas and happy birthday to you Courtney!!

    ReplyDelete