Solid Foods

 

So, we are now fully in the thick of solid food intake, as well as the resulting challenges at the other end. Without going into too much detail, the following things have have been indispensable this week: flax oil, prune juice, warm baths, abdominal massage, and our chiropractor. It took quite the collective operation to get things moving.

I'm having a challenging time keeping up with him, as far as eating goes. He loves food and he's just independent enough to want to do it all by himself, so I find myself racing around the kitchen to find appropriate finger foods for him. I've been reading Super Baby Food because every mama and her cousin raves about it. So far, I'm unimpressed. She has some good things to say. She's a big proponent of an all organic diet, which I can get behind. And her whole schtick is that homemade is better and cheaper without being much more work. True, true. But, some of her advice I just disagree with completely (not breastfeeding at night, for example) and the overall tone seems rather alarmist. Apparently there are 19 different ways your child can die in her highchair. Who knew? I'll keep reading it though, because I do need some meal ideas.

The book I've found most helpful so far is Real Food for Mother and Baby by Nina Planck. Her writing style is incredibly approachable and she makes her baby food choices based on a balance of science, tradition, and common sense. She causes some raised eyebrows because she is a proponent of things that people with a lot of letters behind their names often frown upon. But, so are we, so it works out alright.

But, I am definitely looking for finger food suggestions for an almost-one-year-old. His loves: egg yolk, pears, buttered whole wheat toast, squash, any cheese, and banana. His less-than-loves: avocado. 

10 comments:

  1. My Kate hated avocado! The others on your little one's list were A+ in her book too! Don't worry about the nay-sayers... Nina has her head on straight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to check out Baby-led Weaning by Gill Rapley. We're just starting solids, so I don't have much personal experience yet, but the approach really makes sense. I wrote a post on it earlier this week.

    I would imagine that Silas has enough dexterity and coordination at this point to pick up pieces of just about anything that you're eating. We're still at the "need chunks large enough to grab with whole fist" stage. I'm looking forward to our little guy developing the pincer grip -- it should make solids a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were really big on blueberries, strawberries, cooked cubed sweet potatos, all melons at that age [and for the same reason as your sweet Silas, poor boy].
    Not breastfeeding at night? I have never heard that before. I breastfed all five of my babies and some would say longer than I should, I disagree and wouldn't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was always of the mind that when my babes were old enough for solids, they were old enough for blander versions of whatever we happened to be eating. If I made ground turkey for chili, I'd give them some of the cooked turkey before I made it into chili. A few of my kids adored cheese in little chunks. Yogurt was always a hit. I come from the other end of the spectrum - I nursed two babies for a while, two were difficult nursers and I gave them formula. They ALL are very healthy - the moral of this long comment is to follow your gut and if you're in tune to Silas, you'll know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boys both loved (and love) tofu. I would either sauté/bake it like I would normally eat it or if there was no adult variety already made, I just let it braise a bit in a pan with a bit of something liquid...anything really (soy sauce and vinegar, straight apple juice, watered down nut butter, etc). Another thing that we did at this early age, but maybe more as a teether rather than as real nutrition, was to give the boys larger pieces of dried mango and then watch carefully so that you can take it away if they want to put the whole thing in their mouths or if it gets too soft to be safe. They would usually just gum it and suck on it happily until it was fully rehydrated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, no breastfeeding at night! We're in trouble then.

    We seem to be at the stage with our little one that you're at with yours. Our little guy is making the slow transition to solids and he can go days (a week at the longest) with no poop! Eventually it always happens though.

    My naturalpath recommended fennel tea once a day for mama. It also helps with your milk supply which is a win win for both. Might be worth a try.

    Have a good evening.

    amelia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had mixed feelings about Super baby food, too--mainly it just seemed like way too much work for an ordinary mother, and so complicated to keep everything straight, and a tone that, well, of course your baby should naturally just love pureed kale and he'll eat it every day! My babe liked a lot of the same things yours did. Well cooked beans and peas were fun, too. Pasta, fruits of all kinds. And a half-container of pureed prunes every day helped with keeping those sensitive bowels regular. Feeding the Whole Family has a lot of great, non-pushy ideas on how to incorporate family food into baby's diet. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Avacado was my youngest favorite and still is today. Try mashed or small steamed chunks of sweet potato, turnip, rutabaga, parsnip. Baby food prunes took care of the problem for my kids and they loved them - they still do - ate diced prunes on oatmeal this morning.

    I liked the recipes in the Super baby food book. I tweaked a lot of them to suit us but liked the foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We always do lots of sweet potato and carrot chunks - cooked nice and soft. I'm glad Silas...problem got sorted out. That is no fun for little people or mamas!
    Sounds like you know to trust your heart on these things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the end it was just easier to make some purees in the very beginning- i liked mixes like broccoli pears and peas. i was also a fan of putting cinn. and other spices just a touch in. not the reccomended way but who cares he loved it. purees are grown out of very quickly and then we just gave him some of what every you are eating- maybe cut up a bit more. I found i tried to cook at least one think i know he would be able to eat, or take a bit out before i spiced it (we like things hot!) or added a sauce. small pastas work good, oatmeal made less thick more watery with whole oats once we got to that stage. raisens etc
    i never followed the one food at a time rule either...
    just keep trying stuff!

    ReplyDelete