Silas' Blanket







Silas was just over three months-old when I cast on this blanket. The pattern had been chosen and the yarn purchased months before when he was still in utero. I love knitting cables and I liked the wordplay of this cable blanket for my little Cable. I'm corny like that. I didn't know he was a boy when I chose blue. Blue is his papa's favorite color and it just looked so soft and perfect for a baby. There are at least a full two repeats of the pattern that I knit incorrectly -- almost half the blanket, really. I was nestled into my nursing nest on the couch during those rows, trying to knit without disturbing the (finally!) sleeping baby I was just getting to know. My mind was elsewhere. The weight of my new role as a mama and this tiny little person who depended on my completely. I was unable to keep much in my mind, least of all counting stitches. 

He's too big to swaddle in it, like I had envisioned. But the texture of the fabric is perfect for his searching hands that need to open and close around something as he falls asleep in my arms. The tiniest of pinches. I'm glad to have them on something (anything!) other than my skin. I hope that it will become a source of comfort for him, a refuge, as my own childhood blanket was for me. My little bug.

Linking up with Ginny over at Small Things.

17 comments:

  1. Courtney, it is a beautiful blanket! I love the color and do not see the mistake you are talking about. One day Silas can pass it down to his child!
    My children always used my hair as a security blanket and would hold and rub it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the garter stitch that is in the cabling-very clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blanket, those cables are fabulous. I hope it becomes a source of love, warmth and comfort for Silas throughout his life :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! How wonderful. Well worth the effort. Hopefully it'll become his favorite; that would be good for mama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! It looks just perfect for snuggling and playing - what more could a boy want? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out beautifully! I'm so excited to finally see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Courtney -- fantastic! I love Silas sitting in his little chair with his blanket. Such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's just perfect, I love the cables and the color, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Courtney, remember one thing...there are never mistakes, just 'design elements'. ;-)

    And I think your design elements give that blanket some character.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the blanket looks very similar to one my grandma made for my son. very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Courtney, that is adorable! I wish I could make something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray! It looks great. What a sweet memento for him to treasure always. I have not yet tried cables, but have it on my to-do list for knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it...what a beautiful, gentle colour it is. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh C- it came out beautiful. He is going to love it for a long time to come! I better get crackin' on mine- before it becomes a 3rd year UFO!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so lovely, Courtney! What a wonderful job you did...and the fact you made a few "creative changes" are so special because you'll remember even more clearly those moments of knitting and how you were feeling at the time. Such a special gift for your sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is so beautiful. i wish i had the skill....

    ReplyDelete