Creating with Babies


As I try to squeeze in little moments of making here and there -- one cut and one stitch at a time -- my mind wanders back to almost a year ago and how not too much has changed. In those early days of new motherhood I would lay my sleeping babe on the bed and run, literally, to the other room to get as much done as I could in the 15 minutes that I knew he would tolerate sleeping out of my arms. I'm sure the fly-on-the-wall view was pretty funny: disheveled woman sprints across room to attack a dowel with a hacksaw. Not only did I want to make these things for my little one, I needed that time so badly. I needed tangible proof that I was doing something with my days. The work of motherhood can be so invisible. Making a mobile, a rattle, knitting a hat, baking, cooking a meal...these were my proof (to who? myself mostly) that I was indeed alive and that my days mattered.

It's slightly different now, but only slightly. Silas can entertain himself for short stretches and he can move about on his own, leaving my hands free to do other things. But now that my hands are open, I find it's my mind that has a hard time focusing on things non-baby. I'm in a constant state of distraction. I am so in awe of mamas who are able to be creative and to make beautiful things concurrently with mothering. I have much to learn from you!

8 comments:

  1. You do so much! That is the impression I have.
    I think that (and I think I say this a lot) it gets easier the older they get but enjoy these moments-

    ReplyDelete
  2. The constant tug of war between time to create (which I find I 'need' and cherish) and the time to spend with family (which is also necessary and cherished), I think will always be present, no matter what the ages of your children. As Lady of the Arts said, it does get a bit easier though as your children get older. Take encouragement from that. And yes, trying not to make your baby the center of your world is a tough thing too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an honest post! It is so hard finding tangible proof that I exist and my work (mothering, creating, living) matters. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Countney, I have to go along with the crowd and say that yes, as Silas gets older there will be more time for you to create. The song about the seasons is very true and right now you are in what I think is the most busy season of motherhood, go with it and just embrace this time, soon [and believe me it's quick] you will have loads of time to create.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am smack dab in the middle of this season with you Courtney. My kids need a lot these days, and when it's not them, it's church, the house, my marriage. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, and I don't hear complaint from you either. But, it's not always easy is it? Hang in there! Our kids will be better for the time and love we are giving them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also struggle to find time for creative pursuits, between an out-of-the-home job and two little ones (4 and 1), I never have quiet time to pull out my sewing machine. But Monday I had the day off and I MADE time. And it felt great! I can't wait til next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous words. ".these were my proof (to who? myself mostly) that I was indeed alive and that my days mattered."...completely relate to that, even though I'm without kids! Stay at home wife, and need proof for myself that I am in fact accomplished.

    silly, these expectations we put on ourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "The work of motherhood can be so invisible." Perfect. Brilliantly spoken.

    I feel that same way - how do these mamas do all this knitting & sewing & making of amazing things? and on top of that, take amazing photographs and blog about it all? HOW?

    ReplyDelete