Communication




Silas has a new game. It started over Thanksgiving when he pulled Steve's hat off (a delightful activity in and of itself), held it aloft, and everyone in the room cheered. It only took two repeats for him to learn that arms in the air equals everyone claps and cheers. So now, when he feels like being the center of attention, he'll raise his hands in the air, look directly at me, raise his eyebrows and start to smile, anticipating the cheering to come (I, of course, always oblige).

Steve and I are both amazed by this. There have been communicative gestures before, but this strikes us as different. A first step in the building of a true exchange. For so many months we've been operating on faith. Faith that our parenting is adequate. Faith that his needs are being met. Faith that he's happy. There are the obvious signs of whether or not these things are true. Crying. Smiles. Laughter. But they all exist in him as a response to the external. For so long it has seemed that our communication has flowed mostly in a single direction: from us to him. The arms-in-the-air is something else. It comes from inside him as he tries to get a reaction from us. It makes the fact that he is a little person with his own desires, motivations, and opinions so very front and center. My heart absolutely swells. 

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, he is precious! I love the "so big" arms! My kids both still do this when they want an extra laugh and a minute in the spotlight.

    This is a beautiful piece. He seems like an amazing boy, and you and Steve are doing a wonderful job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so much fun when they start communicating for real! G has recently started stringing words together and I'm just in awe of how much further I'm falling in love with my little boy as his personality becomes more and more apparent. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sweet. i love when they first start connecting and communicating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Courtney, you are doing such a wonderful job as a parent, just one look at his picture shows that! I love the arms over the head and that smile melts my heart every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is such a happy happy baby!! I would cheer for him all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing the personality out of a little person emerge along with laughter it definitely can make one's heart very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute -- fun to see what I have to look forward to in a few months.

    Speaking of communication . . . are you guys doing EC? I think I first heard of it here, in one of your pre-baby posts. Anyway, I would be curious to hear what you decided, and about the EC journey thus far, if you are using it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. he looks so incredibly happy and joyful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a cute post! they both looked so happy~

    xo

    katie

    ReplyDelete