Yarn Along


I almost could have used the same photo from last week, but I finished one book and actually cast on my project in the nick-of-time! I'm still focused on Steve's Fair Isle Christmas hat. The yarn I chose is aran weight, while the pattern is written for dk, so I assumed that I would have to go down a needle size. My gauge swatch wasn't even close, however, so I'm trying again with a size up. Hopefully this is the one, 'cause I'm ready to get started! A question for all you prolific knitters out there...do any of you own one of those interchangeable circular needle sets? If so do you like them? Or do you just have a million different sizes and lengths circulars? The sets are pretty expensive, but I'm starting to think that it might be worth it.

I'm still making my way through Taking Place. I haven't read a book like this in ten years--since I was in film school. It's both wonderful and horrible. I'm being reminded of all the little idiosyncratic elements of academic writing and stretching my mind to recall all the vocabulary. It feels good to spend time in critical thought, but it's exhausting too. I finds it's a ways down on my list of things to pick up when my hands are empty and I have a moment. The new title for reading while nap-nursing Silas (when I need something a bit lighter) is Unfinished, a memoir about a middle-aged woman who drops everything and roadtrips across Canada in search of her life's meaning. I'm still on page one, so we'll see how it goes.

Linking up with Ginny over at Small Things.

11 comments:

  1. i am so glad you asked this question courtney as i have wondered the same thing. i'm thinking this would make a great christmas gift for my husband to purchase ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't own a circular needle set and in fact I have never even used circular needles, I have somehow avoided them... I always just use dpns, and yes, I have a million different sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll admit it- gauge swatching is my least favourite part of knitting!
    As to the set- no I don't, and I would love one BUT... none of them seem to have the smaller needles and that aggravates me!
    Instead I have a huge collection of circs- mostly clover brand, since that is my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, you are from Iowa City and me Cedar Rapids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I highly recommend the knit picks interchangeable needle set (mine are nickel plated) they are fantastic! I also have a set of hiya hiya-I love them BUT they unscrew sometimes while knitting...so that could be a concern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mom has a set from knit picks and she enjoys them, however, she's had issues where the needle points come out of their holders? She's had one replaced, but they say you can just superglue them (which she has done a few times). I, on the other hand, have a nice tangled mess of circulars! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like those interchangeable needles too! Fun that your son's name is also Silas. That name seems to be coming back, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A friend of mine owns a circular set and loves them. As for me, I have a BUNCH of circular needles and even use them for my straight knitting.

    I try to knit things that don't require a gauge swatch! haaaa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck! I have no advice for you but I'm sure you'll work it all out and it will be beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad your knitting is coming along, swatching is a good idea, esp since your changing up the weights.
    i do have an addi set that i love, i think their the best needles made. i am asking santa for the lace set though, i love the pointerer tip even better, not just for lace, but for everything. it's truly a blessing to have. most sets don't come with smaller sizes, so if you use sizes under 4 you'll still to buy those.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have some and stopped using them because they either came unscrewed and the stitches fell off or I had to remember to tighten them before I started each row. Basically, I am just too lazy to deal with them. :-P

    ReplyDelete