Teething Continued


Awhile ago, I met Steve for an early dinner on a weeknight at Outback Steak House. In our pre-clean-food-eating days, their "Bushman 'schrooms" were one of our favorite treats. We haven't been there in years, but Steve had a coupon for a free steak and Silas and I tagged along. (A note about the "free" steak...we ended up spending $30 for appetizers and such to go along with a steak that was worth $8. Their marketing ploy totally worked on us.) It's the first time in Silas' nine months that we've gone to a restaurant with just the three of us and only the fourth time that Steve and I have eaten out since Silas was born. It was nice. It was mellow and quiet and Silas hung out with us like a champ. Mostly.

Just as we were finishing up, he started to get a little fussy. We're pretty sure his top teeth are just moments away from erupting and I know that added to his discomfort. He was bored with the toys that I'd brought along and with his amazing baby-arm-extendo-reach he grabbed a drink coaster from the table. I wasn't thrilled about him chewing on it (I don't even want to think about what's in the ink that they use on them...), but it was giving us a moment of peace. A minute or two passed and I started to try to distract him so that I could take it away, but he had already worked off a chunk from the corner. Those things are designed to disintegrate on contact with liquids, I swear. He started to gag on it, but I was able to quickly sweep it out of his mouth without any real harm being done. He was shaken, though, which means that I was too.

In that moment, I realized that we only had one or two teethers, neither of which I had brought with me, and I decided that I would never again be in a situation where I didn't have something appropriate to give him to chew on. So as soon as we got home, I ordered more teethers than you can shake a stick at. I pretty much just did a search for "green" and "teething ring" and bought one of each that popped up. What's in the photo above is only about half of them...I was waiting for another shipment to arrive when I took it. And so, I declare myself the resident expert in eco-teething rings! Let me know if you'd like a recommendation! ;)

7 comments:

  1. I couldn't believe I spent $30 on three teething rings last Thursday, but this makes my little teething ring shopping spree seem like nothing! I bought a wooden ring with a strip of fabric attached and a 2-pack of the silicone rings with the different textures (like the yellow one in your pic). Our little guy is still too young to really understand using them on his own, but he definitely needs something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like a recommendation, as poor baby Oliver has been using a frozen wooden spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowie, now that's a bunch of teethers! My kids never took to teethers, for some reason. Hopefully Silas won't have to suffer for too long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture makes me giggle. My kids ended up chewing on their toys more than the teethers I bought for them. I still have a stash left over from Gabe that I will try when this new baby arrives and is in need of them. In the meantime, if you do find favorites, please share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Melissa: Yes, I guess you could say that I went a little overboard! What can I say, I was desperate!

    @Mandy & @Kimberly: So, far the clear winners are the water-filled strawberry (right in front of him in the photo) and the clear silicone one (by his right hand). Both of them are by Green Sprouts, $3 and $6 (for a pack of 2) respectively. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how he is encircled by them! I like to cut up wash rags into small pieces, wet them and freeze them. It's cheap too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh poor teething boy. He looks absolutely darling in that photo! Hope he settles on a favourite for those aching gums.
    Have you tried diluted clove oil or amber teething necklaces?

    ReplyDelete