Pleated Beauty



With the gift of much sewing time from Steve, I finally finished a sewing project! This Pleated Beauty Handbag from Bend the Rules Sewing has been sitting in the bottom of my workbasket for over a year and a half. Phew. There's something quite freeing about completion. When I cleaned out my sewing area and saw this barely half-finished bag sitting there, I knew that I needed to just push ahead and get it done, even if it was in 10 minute increments over the course of a week. I'm so glad that I did. Yesterday I had never sewn a bag before and today I have. It's reaffirmed my commitment to learning new skills and practicing old ones.

But let's talk more about the bag, shall we? It's a great pattern from a great book, which I think I'm going to buy. I had checked it out from the library when I started this project and I think it's a good teach-yourself-to-sew resource. The projects are fun and interesting while introducing new skills. This one stretched me past my comfort zone, which is why it got put to the side in the first place. I'm horrible at spatial reasoning and have a hard time visualizing how the individual pieces should fit together to make a whole. I did have to rip back a couple seams because I had attached the straps incorrectly, but all turned out well in the end. I was in love with the turquoise fabric when I bought it and it still makes me so very happy. The little squirrels are adorable and I'm always a sucker for birds.

And now I'm looking forward to the next sewing venture...I'm long overdue in my return to honing my sewing skills!

12 comments:

  1. That is adorable! I've heard about the book before, I should really take a look at it. You did a lovely, neat job. Well done! I wish I worked so neat.. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very cute bag, and you did a great job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow - I love this bag. The fabrics together look so great, especially the cute little bird!

    Great job!!! Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work! What a beautiful first bag. I'm the same way with the spacial reasoning--it always feels like good brain exercise when I'm working with puzzling pattern pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! I love the bag. I have the turquoise fabric and keep finding new uses for it. Used it to make the kitchen curtains, and redo our old dining room chairs, our piano bench, and now I want to make a throw pillow. It's just too stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love it, its just beautiful. i'm so glad you had the time to sew and make something so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fabric you chose to be inside the pleats. Very very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that book and I ADORE your bag! Great job, Courtney! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow - i love this. you did an amazing job! i have the book and looked at the pattern but was too scared to try it. you have inspired me to try...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to make this for a Christmas gift,, I was excited to find your version in Flickr, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete