A fair shot at Fair Isle


I will admit that my failed shawl attempt threw me for a loop and necessitated a little sabbatical from the needles. But with the first of November came the realization that the holiday season is upon us and those gifts I've been planning aren't going to knit themselves (are they?). It's good to be back.

This weekend I turned Steve loose on Ravelry and told him to pick a hat for me to knit for him this year. This is what he chose! No easy peasy hat for my fella, but a Fair Isle number. I have never knit Fair Isle before and I suppose my first go at it should be something small like this hat. I'm approaching the whole thing with confidence (mostly). The woman at my LYS was very sweet and chanted "you-can-do-it!" with me as we picked out the yarn, which are all in rich earthy tones.

Silas has been taking all of his naps in-arms as of late, so I have had much, much time to read. Currently I'm working on Taking Place, a film studies textbook, and Plastic Ocean, about how Charles Moore discovered the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Both of them are fascinating. (Check out Moore's TED lecture for more info.)

It's a gray, dreary day here in southeastern Iowa. I think I need to go do some baking to lift our spirits a little bit. Banana bread anyone?

Linking up with Ginny's Yarn Along over at Small Things.

12 comments:

  1. You can do it! I agree with the LYS women. Nice pattern that you hubby picked out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with everyone...you can do it! I think starting with a hat is perfect and it is a lovely pattern.
    I would love a piece of banana bread! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I can't wait to see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous hat it will be! Can't wait to see how it goes. And yes, I would LOVE a piece of that bread ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the fair isle!! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You CAN do it, Courtney!

    Just make sure that your color floats are not too tight. This will cause excessive puckering between the motifs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you're putting your mind to it... you can do it... you've got 45 more days until Christmas.

    Baking is a good idea too (especially on a dreary day).

    I haven't heard of either of those books - they sound fascinating (I may have to check them out). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks like a perfect place to begin with colorwork, and i agree, you can do it! what a sweet image, a sleeping babe in arms while mama reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the reminder about Christmas knitting. I hope your fair isle knitting goes well. Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fair Isle is only scary if you look at it too much. Just follow the chart, you'll do great.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep -- gotta jump on the bandwagon! You CAN DO IT! :)

    ReplyDelete