The Beginning of Christmas Cheer





I have a bit of an over-buying problem with fabric. Not the hoarding that comes with finding great pieces that I'll use "someday" (although, there is some of that too), but the overestimating that comes when I buy fabric for a specific project. I'm afraid that I'll be in the middle of cutting and just not have enough. I always buy a yard when I really only need a quarter. There's that lack of spatial reasoning again. So, I had lots of green and white wool felt left over from Silas' Halloween costume. I didn't really want to find a place to store it, so the decision was made to use it right now. Luckily, the colors are perfect for a little holiday cheer.

I cut the felt into strips (using the width of my ruler to determine the size--I like to keep measuring to a minimum) and then the strips into squares. After a quick bobbin winding and machine re-threading with red thread, I was all set to line those babies up and go to town. It yielded a surprising amount of garland. Enough for a tree and then some. Steve and I have always been pretty lax about Christmas decorating, but I think I might have been bitten by the bug. What's next?

10 comments:

  1. Very cute! What's next? How about a wreath?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun! I want to do some oragami garland this year. Add it to my list!
    What about some ornaments? I want to find some easy ones to knit up but haven't looked for any yet..

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really neat! I have to say the extent of my garland making is paper chains ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Simple but darling. This is the second post I've seen today that has involved felt, and it is a good reminder that I need to go shopping for supplies for the felt board I want to make for the kids for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your felt garland is adorable!! What a great idea!! We've started decorating around here and I'm having fun looking at blog world for some ideas. Everyone is so darn creative!! :)

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!! Definitely need a wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. I was just thinking about making a circle garland for Xmas but I like squares better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to use left over material. SO cute! ~ Barefoot Mama

    ReplyDelete