Medea


I'd like to introduce you to my dear "little" girl, Medea. Also know as MoMo, DeeDee, and DeeDeeMo. Quite awhile ago I told you about how we acquired our dog, Nikita, but I've never shared about our three feline companions. So, here we go. Here's number one.

Steve and I adopted Medea almost immediately after we got our first apartment together back in 2005. We took an afternoon trip to the animal shelter to meet the kitties. We spent about an hour there trying, in that little time, to get to know them and to discern if there was one who was a good fit for us. My heart dropped as we didn't click with any of them. There were adorable kitties that we wanted to snuggle and sad kitties that we wanted to rescue, but none that was our kitty. We were resigned to coming back the following week to try again when we saw a tiny gray kitten in a large cage in the front lobby. She was adorable and lying in a hammock. That was the clincher.

Neither Steve nor I had ever had a cat before and I don't think either of us really knew what was involved with raising a kitten. She was incredibly spastic. She would climb up the window screens and not know how to get down. Anytime anyone would open the door to our apartment she ran full speed out into the hallway and we had to chase her down. Twice she crawled into the refrigerator without our realizing it and hung out there for awhile when we didn't see her before we closed her in.

She's mellowed since then. Now she's kind-of like a big gray carpet that doesn't move very often. We have to have her shaved every spring to tame her wild Maine Coon fur. She's "my" cat, preferring me over Steve (it's okay...Steve has "his" kitty too) and the mother of the bunch. Although she tried our patience often in those early days, Steve and I agree that we're glad she was the first. She was enough of a trouble-maker to keep us on our toes and just sweet enough to make it impossible not to forgive that fact. I have a feeling that children might work the same way.

7 comments:

  1. She´s a beautiful cat - love the color of her fur! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous kitty. We have had our first experience with cats recently. My hubby has never been a cat person; however, he's bonded with our two "boys."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Medea is so gorgeous! I would love to be able to wiggle my fingers through that beautiful fur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is just beautiful! I want a cat!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Medea! You are so very much loved :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww... What a gorgeous baby! Love that expression.

    ReplyDelete