Yarn Along | First Shawl


In a knitting furry, I finished my Traveling Woman shawl before my brother's wedding with the intention of wearing it to the reception. I'm fairly certain that I followed the pattern correctly, but what I ended up with was more of a scarf than a shawl. It doesn't even fall past my shoulders. I'll admit that I'm more than a little disappointed. All of the Ravelry pictures show this falling to mid-back, at least. I'll have to do a little investigating, but I know that I had the correct number of stitches when I started the lace chart and I did remember to do the yarn overs at each edge... I do know that it's unwearable as-is, so there will be some ripping back if not complete frogging. *sigh*

Reading: Still making my way through Becoming Animal. I'm making it a practice to read one short segment each evening, for two reasons. The first is that I've found this is not a book I can easily pick up, put down, and pick up again and still be able to follow the flow of his thoughts. I need to read the chapters in their entirety. The second is that I need to really focus, making this not a read I can consume while watching Silas out the other eye. It's worth it, though. 

For more Yarn Along, head over to Small Things.

16 comments:

  1. Oh what a bummer about the shawl. It's so beautiful. I've had some sizing issues myself of late. Very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, did you block it? I have discovered that lace only 'blooms' when it's blocked,it allows it to open up and show it's beauty.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful! And I agree with blocking, it makes a big difference :) Good luck with it whatever you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, blocking will 'grow' it, but if it's still too small you may be able to put it back on the needles for a few more repeat. it looks so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, your knitting is beautiful and I love the lace pattern, in spite of it's not yet being wearable! I've been frustrated by my latest "finished" knitting project, too...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad that the traveling woman shawl did not work out for you. I did the lace repeat I think three or four times....So maybe more knitting is required? Looks so beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shawl and book both look wonderful. Maybe the shawl will look great as a beautiful scarf.
    Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a bummer about your shawl... maybe it could be a scarf?

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I was wondering the same thing as Tracey.

    I know that when I knit mine up, that I blocked the thing within an inch of its life and it still is just a scarf that I'll be wearing this winter.

    I know that the pattern does allow for making it bigger and I'm guessing that's what a lot of the projects you see on Ravelry did.

    Frog it if that's what you want to do, but it is still wearable as a scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recommend blocking, and also, you could wear it, like Jen said, as a scarf in a bandana style. I love my bandana-esque "shawl."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear that you ran into issues with your shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that is to bad that it didn't quite turn out in a shawl shape but it looks lovely no matter what :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear about your shawl. I've been thinking about knitting that pattern. Hope that blocking might help or you could wear it as a scarf?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for all of your helpful comments! All is not lost...I do think that I'm going to rip back the edging and do a couple more repeats of the lace pattern. I was just kinda hoping that the two repeats the pattern called for would be enough to make it a "shawl," ya know? :) But we'll make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful Courtney. I am glad you decided to rip it back. It's a pain, but will be so worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry that it didn't work. It's no fun ripping back stitches (I know firsthand with my Travel Shawl), but it'll be lovely.

    ReplyDelete