Self-Portrait Tuesday | Five Months Later

Self-Portrait Tuesday is a way to regularly remind ourselves to get in front of the camera every once in awhile. Sharing them helps our little blog community to grow and deepen. Read my original post about self-portraits here.


Mining the recent past again for this week's self-portrait. I took this when Silas was a mere 13-weeks-old. I remember feeling exactly as I look here: harried, blurry, maybe a little anxious. My memories about this time are so very hazy, although I know I wasn't particularly sleep-deprived then. Our current sleep routine has been far more challenging. No, I think my hurdle at this time was finding our breastfeeding groove and learning to trust my instincts. They were (and are) generally right on the money, but it's oh so easy to doubt them. Everyone seems to be an expert and is more than happy to tell you what you should be doing. With each new developmental stage I still find myself consulting the parenting books and doing Google searches. It's so hard for me to believe (or maybe just to accept) how simple (although, not necessarily easy) this parenting gig is. Silas needs me to listen to him. To feed him and love him and to help him sleep. He needs me to include him in my world and provide him with safe places to explore. To show him that the world is a big and beautiful place. It's just that oftentimes, all that doesn't look like very much from the outside. That makes me anxious. As if there's some key component that I'm missing and if I just read the right book or stumble on the right website I'll finally figure out what it is...

*****

If you'd like to join in this week, please feel free to share a link to your own self-portrait in the comments!

*****

Now that I've shared a month's-worth of weekly self-portraits, I think I'm going to take a break from them for a little while, lest you get tired of seeing me! Thank you all so much for joining me in this little experimental journey. I'm sure that we'll revisit it again in the not-too-distant future.

7 comments:

  1. You are so right Courtney, trust your mothering instincts! You know Silas and I think you have this "mothering gig" down, it's really not hard!I have loved seeing you and know can place a beautiful face with your words. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. tracey is so right, and what a sweet tender phase of motherhood that is. silas and you are so beautiful.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photograph. I joined you today with self portrait Tuesday. I was thinking of my daughters when I took my photo.
    Parenting is all about love. I think if you love you can't go too wrong and you certainly have a lot of that.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you give him love, not too much can go wrong. With Finn I read a ton of parenting books, but then started to realize that kids change so much that by the time you have a routine down or things figured out, then they reach a new milestone and you start over. I am sure you are a fabulous mother, however you are mothering right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful picture, beautiful words! I love looking back at newborn pictures. It's fun seeing how quickly babies fill out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this picture, and you are so right with what you have said. You know Silas best, and will do right for him always.

    Mom and I are joining in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes, those hazy days during the first few months. I wonder how those instincts work with tweens and teens? In some ways, parenting gets easier as they get older, and harder in others.

    ReplyDelete