Yarn Along | Halloween


Well, I guess I'm going through with it. I was having second thoughts about my ability to finish Silas' first Halloween costume in time. I visited my LYS, picked out the yarn, was waiting for a call about how long it would take to get more of it in and I got cold feet. Maybe I should just wait until next year. Better yet, start now for Halloween a year from now. That's doable, right? I thought she was going to call me and confirm whether or not I wanted to go ahead with the yarn before she placed the order and I was going to tell her that I was having second thoughts, but the call that I got was to tell me that the yarn was in. Great. So, now I have the yarn. And it really is a month until Halloween. So, we're making a run at it even though I foresee several nights of crazy knitting into all hours of the night. Worst case scenario is that I don't get it finished in time, I frog it and use the yarn for something else. Really, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. So, we're forging on. One month, one month, one month...

Reading has been a bit slower this week and I'm still on The Complete Idiot's Guide to Self-Sufficient Livingwhich is not turning out to be as helpful as I had hoped. Next up is Becoming Animal and I'm very excited about it. From Richard Louv's (author of Last Child in the Woods) review:
In his new book, Becoming Animal, Abram offers a startling new exploration of our entanglement with the rest of nature. This time, his focus is the intimate but sadly forgotten relationship between our bodies and the earth. By excavating the most ordinary and familiar of our experiences--the perception of shadow, the recognition of depth, the transience of mood--he re-opens for us the knowing that our bodies are intertwined with the flesh of the earth. I cannot imagine another book that so gently and so persuasively alters how we look at ourselves, and reminds us that sentience was never our private possession, that our very awareness is a means of participating in a more than human world.
Doesn't that sound amazingly interesting? I'm looking forward to it.

For more Yarn-ing Along head over to Small Things.

11 comments:

  1. Courtney, I think you can do it! Have positive thoughts.
    Sorry your book wasn't very exciting, but the next one sounds promising. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the costume! Your book sounds interesting - I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the costume. Knit knit knit!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, look at it this way...this will be the first time you spend late nights working on halloween costumes for your kids...but it will not be the last! might as well get used to it! lol

    :)
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a couple of the Idiot's Guide book but truthfully I've never found them helpful unless I am completely ignorant on the subject- Like the time I checked Idiot's Guide to Wicca from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be waiting with bated breath to see what Silas is going to be for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very curious about that book...I'll be checking back to see what you think. Go you on the Halloween costume! I'm a last minute costume mama so knitting would never do! I'm always up sewing at midnight on October 30th.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go, mama, go! You can do it! I'm excited to see what he's going to be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. those two yarn colors I love. Can't wait to see the finished project. That book also sounds wonderful. I so agree with living life on this earth as a whole with it instead of just taking. thanks for the book to add to the reading list.

    ReplyDelete