Summer Squash Soup

Squash and cucumbers and tomatoes, oh my! Even though there were two new things in the CSA box this week, it still felt pretty repetitive, as we have a backlog of squash to eat our way through. I keep looking up the nutritional value of squash to make sure that it's all worth it (I'm not convinced that it is). We're starting to return to some of the more successful squash recipes that we've already tried, so I might be coming to the end of new recipes to share. I think I had a pretty good run, though! 

In this week's box: summer squash, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, sweet corn, and green beans. The sweet corn, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and green beans have been eaten pretty much in their natural state or just slightly cooked. Simple. Fresh. Yummy.


Some of the squash went into a very simple summer squash soup. It's a very mild soup and I wonder what it might taste like cold. If we made this again we might jazz it up with a little more spice; perhaps a splash of hot sauce or maybe some chili powder.


Summer Squash Soup

Extra Virgin Olive Oil, twice around the pan
1 1/2 lbs. summer squash
1 onion, chopped
1/2 C. parsley, chopped
5 1/2 C. chicken stock
salt and pepper, to taste
lemon juice, to taste

1. Heat the oil in a stock pot. Add the onion and squash and saute until squash begins to turn brown.
2. Add parsley and stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover, and cook for 25 minutes.
4. Using a potato masher, gently break up the chunks of squash (you can use a blender if you want more creamy and less chunky).
5. Finish with a splash of fresh lemon juice.
6. Enjoy.

7 comments:

  1. I like the soup the way it is but my husband would want some kick to it! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the tomatoes look delish- great soup recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering myself how it might taste cold when I saw the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney, I made a soup almost identical to the one you've written last night and it was nice and spicy--i think the secret ingredient was lots and lots of garlic. Plus some fresh sage and thyme. Good way to use giant zucchini! I've discovered you can grate and freeze it, too, then throw it in soups and baked goods through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your soup looks so good that i made something similar for supper tonight. thanks for the delicious idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm this recipe looks so delicious and nice and i think that fits perfect with my taste and in my opinion is a very easy recipe, so i think i will try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete