Self-Portrait Tuesday | From the Past

Self-Portrait Tuesday is a way to regularly remind ourselves to get in front of the camera every once in awhile. Sharing them helps our little blog community to grow and deepen. Read my original post about self-portraits here.


The summer that I was 24 (also the summer that Steve and I started dating - 7 years ago now!) I took a solo road trip from Iowa to Los Angeles. I had just moved back from there the year prior and wanted to see the friends that I had left on the west coast. I was surprised at the reaction that I received. "Aren't you scared?" they said. "Of what?" I replied. "I could never do that!" they said. "Why?" I asked. It seems the road is a dangerous place for a young woman in the minds of many. I am happy to report that I arrived at my destination and then back home without incident, which wasn't at all surprising to me.

It was an amazingly empowering trip. I traveled at my own pace without having to consider the needs of anyone else, something that had never happened before. Along the way I took self-portraits in every state that I drove through and especially sought out superlative roadside attractions (you know...world's largest ball of twine, western hemisphere's tallest cross, etc.). I became pretty pro at the whole extend-an-arm-out-and-take-my-own-picture routine. On the return trip I stopped in Arizona to see my aunt and cousins and happened across the self-proclaimed World's Largest Kokopelli (at 32 feet tall) in Camp Verde and this is the self-portrait that resulted. It stands outside a trading post, which was being built at the time that I was passing through. A very kind construction worker saw me and offered to take my picture in front of the Kokopelli, but I declined saying that I wanted it to be a self-portrait.

If you have a self-portrait to share this week, please post a link in the comments. And please do let me know if this is a tradition you would like to see continued. I would be more than happy to host as long as there are people interested in participating. Looking forward to seeing you!

12 comments:

  1. I missed out on this last time, so I have joined in again. Quite an interesting excercise to do and can be a good reflective experience. I would join in - maybe not every week, but i think it is good to see ourselves as part of our blogs too.
    I love this picture of you - you look very much on the threshold of empowerment. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Courtney, for better or worse, I finally did it and am ready to link. Would I like this to continue? Sure, I just need that little kick to keep it up. ;)
    http://clover-seven.blogspot.com/2011/09/self-portrait-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog through tracey and decided to join in all the fun as my daughter apparently kept stalking me with camera yesterday :)
    Taking a roadtrip on your own must have been an amazing and strengthening experience. I love the perspective in your shot.
    so here's goes then...
    http://scrapsofstarlight.blogspot.com/2011/09/self-portrait-tuesday.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it would be fun to play along this week - would love to join every few weeks! I had a similar trip when I was around 24 - something everyone should do! Here is my Self-portrait:

    http://www.simplejoyfulliving.com/2011/09/self-portrait-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. there's a pic of me on my last post :-) you look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a solo cross-country drive in my early twenties, too, and agree with you about the empowering nature of such a journey. Love this photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i experienced the same type of fear-induced warnings and questions when i traveled solo in my 20s, as well. did you camp alone? that was so over the top for everyone i knew, as if driving alone wasn't bad enough. you know, because, i might have to change my own tire or something... sigh. i'm glad you did it too!
    i love seeing your self portraits, so please do keep it up. i actually took some this week but haven't posted yet... but i will likely join in at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this picture of you! Very awesome!

    Here's mine for today: http://eetaylor.blogspot.com/2011/09/self-portrait-tuesday_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got one up this week! Thanks for the leading the way, Courtney!
    http://www.housefullofjays.com/?p=2677

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a little late but...
    http://insteadforgottenways.blogspot.com/2011/09/self-portait-day-late.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome picture--beautiful mama! I have wonderful memories of a roadtrip I took with my two best friends when we were 18, and I remember driving past that very same kokopelli!
    Love the idea of self-portrait Tuesday. I'll definitely tag along next week if it continues.

    ReplyDelete