Mama


This week's CSA box brought us a bag of mixed greens, green beans, summer squash, some adorable little cucumbers, Yukon gold potatoes, and bok choy.

Steve has informed me in no uncertain terms that he is "done" with summer squash for the season. So these three guys will be frozen for use in breads, I guess. It should be noted that I did not protest this moratorium on zucchini. Green beans will be blanched and frozen, cukes and greens to be eaten fresh, as is. Most of the bok choy went into a beef stir fry with the rest to be used in some veggie dumplings (we use Alton Brown's recipe. Yum.). Potatoes to go in Zuppa Toscana.

It's been gray, foggy, and dreary here for the past few days. I've even been tempted to turn on the heat in the morning when Silas insists that it's time to get up for the day, even though the sun has yet to rise. He has discovered the "ma" sound and says "mama" all the time. It is so fascinating to watch him. He puts his hands in/on my mouth as I make the sound and he gets so still with concentration; staring at my lips and how they move. Then he'll spend a long time rolling the sound around in his own mouth. Pursing his lips to make a drawn out "mmmmmm" and then opening them to release a little puff of air "ah." They really are little scientists at work, aren't they?

5 comments:

  1. I pulled some grated zucchini from the freezer last night and stir fried it with peppers, onions and garlic. Then I mixed it all together with a serving of quinoa, doused it with Bragg's and it turned out to be a great meal. I had grated the zucchini for bread, but this works too.
    I love when the wee ones learn to say Mama! He is getting so big , so fast! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. score with the CSA! everything looks great. Our garden is just about done...still getting some beans, carrots and late season lettuce, but thats about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all of those veggies remind me of a comfort food ingredient!

    ReplyDelete