First Foods




On the advice of my doula, we decided to let Silas tell us when he was ready for solid foods. Four months...six months....seem such arbitrary numbers and they passed with my babe happily having nothing more than mama's milk. Then he started sitting on his own and shortly thereafter lost the tongue-thrust reflex. After his first two teeth erupted we knew it wouldn't be much longer. It was when he started developing a pincer grasp and making smacking motions with his mouth whenever he saw us eating that we decided it was time to give it a try.

A lot of thought went into the selection of his first food. I was dead set on avocado or banana for a long time. Then after talking again with the same doula I realized that there was no reason that the first food to go into his tummy couldn't adhere to the same principles as the food that Steve and I eat...local and in season. In the fall in Iowa, this means apples. So, I steamed one up, pureed it, and sat down with Steve and Silas for dinner. I think mama and papa were far more excited than baby and from the look on his face, it was the worst apple ever.

He tentatively took a little taste and as soon as it hit his tongue he squinted his eyes, scrunched up his face and spit it out. We've tried other things since -- watermelon, honeydew, muskmelon, banana, avocado  -- and every single time we get a face that says, "why are you doing this to me? Can I please just have some milk? Please?" We know that all he needs for the first year is mama's milk and that introducing food at this point is more for fun and to experience something new, so we're keeping it low key. We moved our dinner time up so that we eat as soon as Steve gets home, while Silas is still awake, so he can join us at the table. We'll keep trying to give him little bits here and there and I'm sure he'll give us a smile when he's ready. Until then, we have a slew of cute scrunchy-faced-spitting-food-out pictures.

8 comments:

  1. Aww - I remember those moments with my boys! Too cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. he'll be clearing out the pantry in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious!
    What a beautiful little face he has.

    No wee ones of my own but wonderful children from my husband. I remember how much my grandson loved his veggies. Squash especially.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. His little face is just adorable! Thank you Courtney for a wonder laugh today! I hope you are still blogging in about 15 years because I have a feeling [speaking from experience] that his eating habits will change and he will eat everything in your kitchen! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! My youngest had only breast milk until over 8 months (due in part to food allergies with our oldest). Her first food was avacado and now gaucamole is probably her favorite food. I think strained squash was my other childs first food..... I like the idea of just what is fresh and in season for your little one. Have fun experimenting and documenting those faces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The faces he makes are adorable! It will be kind of a shame when the food is no longer shocking to his tastebuds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He might just needs a little maple sirup in it :p. Just kidding..
    My girls first food was a banana (a whole one, she couldn't be stopped), when I took vedgetables I listened to my grandma, telling me how back then, first food had to be cooked brown beans (after that peeled.. which I didn't do), pureed and mixed with the apples. It gave the fresh apples a natural sweet taste, and was actually also very nice for mummy :). She loved it. But he will tell you, my doughters first thing came when she was 4 months old, just because it was time. They are all different, those numbers say nothing. Good luck and enjoy the faces!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it! i remember also debating about what b-1's first food should be and then one day at the park i was engaged in conversation with another mother and he grabbed and started eating a slice of orange and started going to town (I think he was 7 months). have fun with the first feedings!

    ReplyDelete