CSA DAY

I have my baby brother to thank for this week's CSA share. Since we were out of town, he went to the Farmer's Market in my stead to pick it up. I offered to pay him in vegetables, but he politely declined. In the CSA box this week: radishes, zucchini, Yukon gold potatoes, purple beans, yellow wax beans, arugula, tatsoi, and pak choi.


After seeing all these beans and knowing that there was no way we would get through them all before they went bad, I finally got motivated to freeze some. Just a quart of green beans from last week, but it's a start. I love love love the purple green beans. They seem so exotic!


I used them, along with the pak choi, in a spicy stir fry. I wish that they stayed purple when you cook them, though...


Spicy Green Bean and Pak Choi Stir Fry

2 green onions, roughly chopped
3 dried hot red peppers (I found these in my Asian market, but if they're not available where you are, substitute 1 tsp. red pepper flakes)
Oil for frying
1 lb. green beans, washed, trimmed, and cut into 2 in. pieces
1 bunch pak choi, washed, stems removed (you can substitute bok choi or any other Chinese cabbage)
* 1 T. cooking sherry
* 4 T. soy sauce
* 3 T. water
*2 tsp. sugar
* 3 tsp. corn starch
* 3 tsp. white vinegar
Rice, to serve
Slivered almonds, to serve

1. Mix the * ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a wok over high heat.
3. Stir fry the green onions and dried red peppers until fragrant, about one minute.
4. Add the green beans and stir fry for 4 minutes (or until they just lose their purple color).
5. Add the pak choi and stir fry until just wilted, about 30 seconds.
6. Add sauce made from * ingredients and toss to coat.
7. Serve over cooked brown rice, garnished with slivered almonds.

4 comments:

  1. Yummy photos!! I didn't know you could freeze beans. Thanks for the tip!! I'm looking forward to autumn and winter but will miss those veggies you get at the farmer's market. Have a great day!!

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some delicious green beans last night. Steam them for a few minutes, then sautee them with some olive oil, honey, chili sauce, and some amino acids or soy sauce. serve with rice for a yummy side!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want you to know that almost every week I make your chicken stir fry for my family. Everyone loves it!

    Oh I love purple green beans! I bought some from our farmer's market then froze them for use this Thanksgiving. I wish they would hold the purple color, too (Chase has declared we need to grow these next year).

    ReplyDelete
  4. We grew some purple beans this year. They were yummy!

    ReplyDelete