Zucchini...Still

The rumor is that there is some corn in this coming week's CSA box, which would be a welcome change-up to all the summer squash and eggplant that we've been getting. I know you have to try a food something like ten times before you develop a taste for it. I don't really mind the eggplant and squash. They're just fine, good even, in most of the recipes we've used them in this summer. But, my reaction to seeing them in the box is never, "Awesome! More eggplant!" Maybe next time will be the magic time...

In this week's box: eggplant, grape and cherry tomatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, red and Yukon gold potatoes, and summer squash.


All of the eggplant went into an eggplant and Swiss chard lasagna (recipe from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone), but I discovered that lasagna is a more difficult thing to photograph than one might imagine.

About a pound and a half of the summer squash was sauteed, mixed with some cream, and served over spaghetti. It was surprisingly sweet and it's near the top of my squash recipes.

In other news, Silas has cut his first tooth! The poor little guy can't sleep (which means that mama and papa can't either), but is otherwise in good spirits. Those little incisors are sharp, aren't they!


Creamy Summer Squash over Spaghetti with Basil

1 1/2 - 2 pounds zucchini or summer squash, cut into a large dice
1 small onion, diced
extra virgin olive oil, twice around the pan
2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tsp. herbs d'Provence (or Italian seasoning)
salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 C. dry sherry
1/2 C. half and half
spaghetti, to serve
grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
several fresh basil leaves, cut into a chiffonade

1. Heat the EVOO in a large skillet with high sides over medium heat and add the garlic.
2. Add summer squash and onion and season with salt and pepper. Add red pepper flakes and herbs d'Provence. Saute until squash is soft, about 20 minutes.
3. While the squash is cooking, start a large pot of salted water to boil for the spaghetti. Cook according to package directions and drain.
4. When squash is done, deglaze the pan with the sherry (wine would work too) and cook for one minute.
5. Add the half and half and gently cook until warmed through, about 8 minutes.
6. Fill a bowl with spaghetti, top with creamy summer squash and garnish with cheese and basil.
7. Enjoy!


11 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! Feel free to share a link to it on my page. I just posted a Zucchini Recipe RoundUp. http://www.mental-chew.com/2011/08/recipe-roundup-zucchini.html

    I will be in CSA-land starting next week. Our garden grew tired of the neglect it was experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did it once again Courtney, that looks awesome. Now if I can just get my fall garden in the ground so I can try it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious!

    A tooth already? My goodness, Silas! Hope he can find some comfort from the sore gums.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy. Here hoping you and the teething baby are getting some rest. Phoebe has been teething madly for a couple of days, which is making for long nights for mama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for teeth! He'll find some relief from the pain, soon. People told me that the first teeth were always the hardest for the kids, and I've found that to be fairly true (although Gabe's molars have been giving him a hard time lately).

    I'm so jealous of your potatoes! We were supposed to have them in our CSA, but apparently something got a hold of them. I was very bummed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! that squash and pasta looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I have the exact same reaction to eggplant. I will cook it if it is in front of me (and eat it if it is there too) but I dont look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum! i will try it, i have all of one kind of squash that i need to get rid of!

    :)
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! I'm hungry now - although not for eggplant, we haven't fallen for it yet either... ;)

    ReplyDelete