Zucchini Two more ways and Gazpacho

I love waking up on mornings such as this. Cozy under the blankets with a snugly baby. The sound of a gentle rain outside my window and a cool breeze making my curtains dance. It's enough to not want to get out of bed. Ever.

This week our CSA gave us eggplant, onions, basil, cherry tomatoes, summer squash, and cucumbers. Eating on those two monster zucchini last week left little room to eat much of anything else, making us so very behind in using our produce. I foresee a couple of eggplant dishes in our near future.


Many of our meals this week were exercises in cleaning out the refrigerator and using up what was about to go bad. Perfect for hot evenings, this gazpacho used up tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers from our garden and red onions from our CSA.

(Recipe adapted from Ina Garten)


The very last of last week's zucchini went into these chocolate zucchini muffins. They are delicious. The zucchini is so well hidden that you just might avoid the question "what is this green stuff?" from the veggie adverse. Steve was given the task of baking them while I was putting Silas to bed last night. When I was done I found four empty wrappers on the kitchen amidst the still-warm muffins.

(Recipe from Sweet Pea's Kitchen)


And finally, pizza is one of our favorite ways (second only to stir frys) to use up whatever we have on hand. Make up some dough and while it's rising take a look in the 'fridge and see what you can put on there. Really, anything will do. Even if it sounds a little odd, you never know until you try it and let's be honest...put enough cheese on there and it's all good.


Clean out the 'fridge Pizza

For the dough:
1 C. warm water
1 1/2 TBS. honey
2 TBS. extra virgin olive oil
1 packet yeast
2 C. whole wheat flour
1 C. white spelt flour (or other white flour)
2 TBS. vital wheat gluten
1/2 tsp. salt

1. Stir the honey and olive oil into the warm water. Add the yeast and let it stand and get foamy while you measure out the flour.
2. Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk together. Add the yeast mix. Stir to combine.
3. Knead by hand for 10 minutes or in a stand mixer with a dough hook for 5 minutes.
4. Place in an oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel. Put in a warm location and allow to rise for about a half hour (or however much time you have).
5. Punch down and roll out.
6. Place on a cornmeal-covered pizza stone.
7. Pinch up the edge to make a crust.

For toppings:
I was serious. Open your 'fridge and use whatever you've got in there. Here's what we used up for the pizza pictured:

2 TBS. of last year's pesto (have to make way for the new!), thinned with a splash of olive oil, for the base
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 red onion, minced
1 yellow squash, grated,
1 large garden-fresh tomato, seeded and diced
1 1/2 garden-fresh green peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
handful of black olives, sliced
salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, to taste
1 C. Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
1/2 C. cheddar cheese, shredded

1. Pile on all ingredients.
2. Top with shredded cheese
3. Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is just turning golden brown.
4. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Gazpacho! I love it so much. But, since my DH doesn't, I usually only eat when I can find it on a restaurant's menu. It's been so cool this summer, I haven't seen it anywhere. But now...I'm on a quest! Enjoy your beautiful, cozy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom made gazpacho last night and it sounded great (I've not made it yet myself).

    Mm.. veggie pizza! We're big into making pizza lately, but this would definitely help use up veggies. Thanks for recipes and suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love veggie pizza and have it on my menu for this weekend.
    I am so jealous of your cool, rainy day! :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to be better about cleaning out the fridge. There always seems to be an odd veggie or two that succumbs to the compost bin....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your beautiful food(photos). What is that big light green thing in the middle of the CSA box picture?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have veggie pizza a lot and it is a great way to use up what is lying around in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol - I am always making a clean out the fridge something or other. never thought of pizza though - must try that. xxx

    ReplyDelete