Zucchini Three Ways

This week it was all about summer squash. We learned that a zucchini that is a foot and a half long will feed two people for three meals. And then some. I plan on making some zucchini bread with what's left. Also in our box this week were tomatoes, eggplant, yellow and red onions, and purple potatoes.


Our first iteration of a zucchini dish was grated zucchini and capers over spaghetti. We added this to our meal rotation last summer with great success. It's super fast, easy, and very satisfying.

(Recipe in Fresh)


Then both summer squashes were roasted with some of the eggplant and tomatoes and served over polenta. This one breaks my don't-turn-the-oven-on rule, but it was worth it. Luckily, the heat has been far more tolerable this week, so we have been able to throw open the windows to vent out some of the heat from the oven.



And finally, the zucchini was pan fried with a bunch of onions and served in tacos. We went a little crazy with the chipotle powder, so they were very spicy, but good. I've scaled back the amount for the recipe below, but feel free to go crazy too.


Zucchini Soft Tacos

2 TBS. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 large onion, minced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1 medium purple pepper, diced
1 small green pepper, diced
2 1/2 C. zucchini, diced
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried basil
1 1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. chipotle pepper
tortillas
grated monteray jack cheese, to serve
diced tomatoes, to serve
sour cream, to serve

1. In a large pan with high sides, heat the oil until it ripples. Add onion, garlic, and salt and saute over medium heat until the onion is transparent.
2. Add the peppers, zucchini, and spices. Saute for an additional 6-8 min. until the zucchini is soft.
3. Microwave tortillas for 10-15 seconds to soften, if you like. Fill with zucchini mixture, top with tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream and roll like a burrito.
4. Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Yummy! I was patiently waiting to see what you posted. Definitely going to try the zucchini soft tacos. They look heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am preparing the zucchini tacos for lunch-yum! Thanks Courtney once again for getting me out of a rut and expanding my recipes.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics - the recipe makes me hungry! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love seeing what you get in your CSA and what you make!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness! I wish I could get my husband to eat squash. Those recipes look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If your food tastes half as delicious as these photos look... I'm trying it all!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great. I have Feeding the Whole Family from the library at the moment. Such a great cookbook - probably will have to purchase. But that zucchini and capers over pasta? Oh! Will definitely have to try that. I just made gazpacho!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those zucchini tacos sound great! I'm loving all the zucchini we're getting in our CSA.

    Also, on a different note, I just gave you an award on my blog! Stop by and pick it up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow--I have not used zucchini much this year as my garden harvest was abysmal. For some reason I have terrible luck growing it. These dishes look delicious though.

    ReplyDelete