Yarn Along | Keeping Baby Occupied


The heat has us housebound. Usually, I'm a bit of a stickler about turning the air conditioning on. I lived without it through most of my college years and beyond. AC air tastes funny to me and I really need the sounds of the outdoors to filter into my interior space. Steve, on the other hand, was the type of fellow who turned his air on in the spring and left it on until he switched over to heat in the fall. When we moved in together we agreed on a threshold temperature at which we would turn the air on, but all that has pretty much been thrown out the window this past month. I justify it in the same way I justified turning the heat up this winter - I need to sleep. Pre-Silas there were endless hours in the evening during which to drift in and out of a summer sleep. With Silas I need to sleep right now, while I can, and am willing to do pretty much whatever is necessary to make that happen. Plus I'm carrying around this little 15 pound heat generator at all times.

So, we are inside a lot these days. Which means progress in things knitting and reading related. I'm at a very happy place with my Traveling Woman shawl. I'm still working the set-up rows, but I can start to see it taking shape, which is wonderfully encouraging. After our mommy-group outing yesterday, I stopped at the library with the intention of picking up a baby yoga book and grabbed a couple of activities-to-do-with-your-baby books as well. Silas is getting so bored with the indoors (and so is mama) so we're searching for some new material to add to our routine.

Head over to Small Things for more Yarning Along.

9 comments:

  1. The shawl looks great, Courtney. What did you find to do? Today finally feels great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that shawl pattern.

    We have an A/C threshold temperature in our house, too. Our A/Cs never go below 73 degrees farenheit. I don't need to be freezing, just comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I have similar AC requirements... I like it off, especially to sleep at night (as long as there is cool air coming through the windows) but he prefers to have it on non-stop. He is a Texan at heart I guess.
    We have been lucky in that it hasn't been too hot around here.... hope you find some fun indoor entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I turn our ac on in the spring and turn it off in the fall. We bought a new-ish house that does not have any cross ventilation with windows open. So when it is over 74 degrees outside it is 80 inside. Glad you are getting some knitting done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fan of the a/c either but we don't have much choice if we don't want to roast right now. And nothing makes little ones more cuddly than high temperatures. So if it's warmer inside than out the a/c goes on but is off again as soon as it cools enough in the evening. I hope you found some good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was always fine with heat. loved it. my husband and i often had the same argument. then, my first pregnancy was in the middle of the summer when it was 95-100 degrees. ever since then, i cannot stand the heat. over 80 and i am toast. but happy knitting time!

    :)
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a threshold in our house too when it comes to the a/c (or the heat). I don't mind layers in the winter, but when it gets hot out, I want to be comfortable. It actually makes me want to be out of doors more if I know there is relief from the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're inside a lot right now too. I don't do well in the heat so can't justify making the kids go out in it either! Only a little window ac unit for us though so we're also in the dark with all the shades drawn and the doors shut...I don't really like August.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I lived in Sacramento, CA where the temps in the summer are often above 100, I didn't have AC and found that I got used to it and didn't like it. But the secret was NOT to use it in cars, etc, otherwise my body was NOT happy. I think you are smart to focus on what you need to sleep. Sleep deprivation is so hard for me because I forget that I'm just really, really tired and start thinking all kinds of other things are wrong in my life. Then I finally get some sleep, and..."ta da!" all is well and I wonder what I was so upset about :)

    ReplyDelete