Teething

I really never thought that we would get to this point. I remember vividly how I felt back in February and March, when we were counting Silas' age in weeks instead of months, and the idea of him being six-months-old and cutting teeth seemed impossible to me. In my mind, six-month-olds were big babies. They're practically talking, right? My tiny little bug could never be that big, could he? But here we are and we're doing things that I couldn't wrap my mind around just a short while ago. Rolling and rolling to the point that we have to make some adjustments to our co-sleeping arrangement in the name of safety. Scooting and pivoting so much that I can no longer trust that he'll be in the same place on the floor if I leave him for a moment. Smiling and laughing and showing off his two shiny brand new bottom teeth. The funny thing is that our nights are far more similar to those early days than I anticipated: up every hour and a half, falling asleep in the rocking chair, tears. But our days are very different: banging toys, preparing to crawl, and gnawing on everything.


I finished this knotted teething doll for him in the nick of time to sooth his poor little gums; the knotted feet fitting perfectly between his chompers. He's been a champ about it, really. Even on the first night when he would awaken with a start and cries of pain every half hour, he would still laugh and coo once we were up with him. On the advice of everyone, I had some baby acetaminophen drops on hand to use "just in case." We did use them that first night and I wish that we hadn't. I didn't read the ingredient list until the next morning and it has high fructose corn syrup in it. I gave myself quite the mental beating about it. Six months of absolutely nothing but breast milk and the first non-mama's-milk thing to go in his tummy has the one thing in it that I try to avoid above all else. Sigh. Such is life.


So, we've ditched the drops and are relying on the standbys of cool wet washcloths wrapped around ice cubs, wooden teething rings, and now this little cloth doll. I've been coveting one from Nova Naturals for quite awhile, but I figured it was something that I could try my hand at making. I followed this pattern (my first time cutting out from a pattern, ever!) and used organic cotton terry cloth. It's not exactly how I envisioned it and I have grand plans of modifying the pattern and trying again, but for right now...it's perfect.

10 comments:

  1. Time is moving so quickly now that he is moving and grooving. The cloth doll looks cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they grow so quickly- We also used frozen wash clothes- I would wet, twist the corners and freeze them- seemed to work well with my first- the second one was a blur but I remember we lived in Detroit- it was cold and I didn't use the frozen wash cloths-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little guy! It's been amazing to watch him grow these past six months. Hope you all find teething relief!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soon he'll have a mouth full! You did a fantastic job on the teething doll; it is just adorable. Now I need to add That to my list of items to make...thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i skipped the HFCS red dye tylenol as well... but did find the homeopathic teething tablets (brand name Hylands) to work wonders. they are of course little sugary things as well, but minor in comparison to the bigger pharmaceutical brands. hugs to you, teething is so brief in the big picture, but it is a rugged thing to live through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's certainly growing up! Good luck to you on those late nights. Looks like Silas likes his doll.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While you of course don't want to load your baby up on sugar, it really isn't the enemy. I expect that Tylenol without it would be disgusting. Don't beat yourself up. Sometimes you just have to make a decision to bring comfort to your little guy. Tylenol was my best friend when my babies ran dangerously high fevers. Maybe it will help you to realize that eating a piece of fruit gives you fructose as well. It isn't poison; it's just something you should not have too much of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. smiling as i type this because i did the EXACT same thing when bayliss was 6 months. his first non mama milk liquid to enter his precious body also contained HFCS. and my mother's words came to my head to comfort me. "you are the bricks but there is also mortar", how true. I love the doll and I think I'll make one for Oliver for Christmas as he'll be about 6 months then. It really does go so so fast. Enjoy, it just gets better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor baby and mama....teething can be so rough! Our little guy loved gumming amber stones (his teeth came in at three months!)We have a few big hunks lying around from our travels but I know that amber teething necklaces are also widely available. Amber has soothing, pain reducing properties...and it's so smooth and pleasant on their gums. Best of luck getting through this stage~it doesn't last forever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mandy: Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Your mama is a wise one. I'll try to keep her words in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete