A Life Sustained Sponsor: Dream Out Loud Art

Please welcome A Life Sustained sponsor Dream Out Loud Art!


Carla creates miniature drawings that she hand colors with watercolor. She then mounts these in jewelry to make unique, high quality, wearable art that she has for sale in her Etsy shop.


Tell me about your journey to becoming an artist.

I have always loved art - drawing, sewing, you name it! My dad was a civil engineer and I remember visiting him in his office, sitting behind the draftsman’s table with colored pencils and drawing to my heart’s delight. Not only did my mom do a lot of sewing, she was very “crafty” in general - always collecting all kinds of goodies like fabric, lace, felt and novelty buttons. We would just sit down and make stuff- fond memories!  My best friend Leigh and I made our own paper dolls, and in high school, I did more doodling on my book covers than studying.


Why do you make jewelry?

After I got married and had a child, my art, almost incidentally, became secondary to my family. About three years ago, with my daughter soon to graduate high school, I found myself with more free time again, and began to rediscover my old talents and passions.  Not really sure what my direction should be, I took  up  drawing  again - drawing all kinds of things in a variety of ways. This time allowed me to further develop my personal style and get back in touch with the creative side of myself. At first, I was discouraged to see how “small” my art always came out, until my husband suggested that it would be the perfect size for “wearable” art. I am excited to have found my niche, and excited to see where else the future takes my art… perhaps to clothing or greeting cards.


What inspires you?

All humans have things that arouse their emotions and different ways of expressing it, for me, the intimate relationship that I have with Jesus Christ is the fuel that gives me passion for life and art is my way of expressing that life.  I feel that I have a gift for seeing beauty in the simple, ordinary things we take for granted, and since my style is somewhat “cartoony” and “whimsical”, everyday things can be expressed in a way that’s fun.  All gifts have to be cultivated over time, so I encourage others to start small and find pleasure in the simple little steps as you grow in your gift.       


 How do you choose your subject matter?

Most of my designs are things that I love -  I have always loved trees; and many of my earliest sketches are of trees. I also love the beach, and enjoy art that has an Oceanside setting. Recently, I’ve begun to appreciate the simple beauty of birds, and I’ve had a lot of fun incorporating them into my pieces. Other topics have been suggested by people- the cupcakes and owls were my daughter’s suggestions. And some designs are ideas I had with a certain type of person in mind - such as a mother, a dancer, or a world traveler. 



Carla is generously offering to one A Life Sustained reader the mama and baby bluebird necklace pictured above. Just leave a comment on this post to be entered in the random drawing to win

You can get two additional entries. First, you can Follow A Life Sustained through Google Friend Connect and second, you can Tweet the following message: Check Out Dream Out Loud Art Giveaway at http://tiny.cc/4pxlj #alifesustained

Be sure to leave a comment for each "extra" so they can be counted! 
Comments will be closed and a winner will be chosen in the evening of August 13th.



And the lucky winner is Kimberly!
"So beautiful, I love the hummingbird necklace."

38 comments:

  1. I am always so amazed by what others are creating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful artwork and a generous giveaway. Thanks for hosting.

    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your pieces are beautiful works of art! I am in awe of your creativity!
    Jhbalvin at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now following this blog on gfc as jhb.
    Jhbalvin at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! I would love to win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tweeted:

    http://twitter.com/#!/treayaa/status/100539622173589505

    ReplyDelete
  7. Her work is so beautiful!

    kiddomsg at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow A Life Sustained via GFC.

    kiddomsg at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful, I love the hummingbird necklace.
    Halochanel at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Following with gfc
    Halochanel at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://twitter.com/#!/WrightWin/status/100546803585392642
    Tweet
    Halochanel at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty, pretty! Thank you for the chance to win :)

    marija.majerle at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. following you via GFC

    marija.majerle at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it
    nannypanpan at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. your art is just beautiful, and so unique and creative!
    <3
    pickmeaflower.hm at gmail dot com
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoaaa pretty!
    niuniuzheng@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. So whimsical! What lovely works of art.

    mofrohoko(at)gmail(dot)com.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love the mama and baby bluebirds. reminds me of watching the mom and dad swallows feed their babies on my porch seven years ago as i too nursed my first new baby at home...

    ;)
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful necklace :)

    unforgetable_dreamer_always (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know exactly who I would give this to! My friend, Jessica, who is expecting soon. Sometimes we give lots of gifts to new babies, but forget the new moms!

    hrfarley at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Her art is amazing! Thanks for the chance :)
    cam22190 at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post i really enjoyed seeing the pictures too. All of the necklaces are adorable..i am looking forward to seeing more of Carla's work in the future.
    Thanks!!

    cyclona66 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I adore these pendants.
    thereneeborhood at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such lovely work!

    littleumbrella (at) wow (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I follow this blog via Google Friend Connect {Lesli}

    littleumbrella (at) wow (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the Bluebird necklace especially mother taking care of its baby

    trustjesus7771 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Her work is absolutely GORGEOUS! I would be more than proud to sport this necklace.

    hook6475 @ yahoo .com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I follow your blog via Friend Connect. (holly6475)

    Thanks once again for the great giveaway!

    hook6475 @ yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Adorable necklace!

    faked_sugartone at hotmail

    ReplyDelete
  30. follower

    faked_sugartone at hotmail

    ReplyDelete
  31. http://twitter.com/#!/StopDropandRead/status/102401989744410626

    faked_sugartone at hotmail

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the details of her art

    Cynthia.Richardson@azbar.org

    ReplyDelete
  33. I follow you via GFC - Cynthia Richardson

    Cynthia.Richardson@azbar.org

    ReplyDelete
  34. Tweeted
    https://mobile.twitter.com/hofken/status/102482945264189440

    Cynthia.Richardson@azbar.org

    ReplyDelete