Yarn Along


Three rows in to my Traveling Woman shawl and I already had to drop into my LYS for some pattern explanation. Luckily, the ladies there are very kind and were able to talk me through a very simple problem. Sometimes you should do exactly what the pattern tells you to do, even if it doesn't make any sense to you. Sometimes you make things harder than they need to be. This pattern is good for me. It's forcing me to overcome my dislike of yarn overs.

I'm skimming through Self-Sufficiency, a handbook to homesteading. So far, it seems like a good resource. It doesn't cover any one topic with an incredible amount of depth, but it is useful as a book of ideas for different projects and endeavors to try. I'm really ready to dig into a book that I enjoy. It's been awhile...

It's just so hot here...it's hard to get motivated to do much of anything. This heat wave might motivate me to take Silas for his first swimming outing, though. If his bathtime antics are any indication, it's something he would enjoy, but I worry about all that sunshine on his delicate little baby skin. Hopefully hat + tank suit + a ton of zinc oxide sunscreen will do the trick.

For more Yarn Along-ing head over to Small Things.

11 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have a place to go for help with your knitting. I can't wait to see it complete.
    I am with you on this heat wave...we need a break.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my husband had to teach me to cast on because I couldn't understand the diagrams in the book I had. That was about as far as I got. I am so envious of your skill and can't wait to see the final product. Love the perspective in your photo. Stay cool! (60 and raining here right now)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often over think the patterns, too. I did when I was working on the sleeve for Chase's sweater and I waited until my mom was home from work to call her for an explanation. I guess sometimes we really do need to just go with it!

    Hope you guys stay cool, and good luck if you do go for swimming! Sounds like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you found some knitting help! I wish I could send you and everyone with a heatwave some of our "summer" weather. We've hardly broken 70 degrees in weeks...I'm wearing sweatshirts and wool socks in the mornings! Hope you both enjoy the swim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thing you can go somewhere for help! I mostly turn to the Internet, for example videos on youtube on how to do a certain technique. I hope you will enjoy yarnovers from now on, they're really not that bad =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also use the internet for my help.. and it usually works out OK, although sometimes I just want a person to sit down with me and walk through the steps...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If he is covered from head to toe you should go! I am cheering you on for the shawl!! Knit Knit Knit! (looks lovely)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The challenges are what make us over~comers... and help us to master the craft! Good for you.

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beginning the shawl with the garter tab, right?

    If that was it, yeah, that threw me for a loop, too. Trying to figure out who the heck I was supposed to pick up stitches. I think I just made it work.

    Traveling Woman was my first shawl.

    When you get to the lace part, you will have the ability to use stitchmarkers between the lace repeats. I hope that's helpful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great! Hope you get some knitting done and feel confident when you do!

    ReplyDelete