Yarn Along | Just a little bit of progress


Perhaps I should refrain from posting more Yarn Along photos until I actually have something to show! This week I only made the smallest little bit of progress. I picked up Silas' blanket a couple nights and knit a half dozen rows. Silas is having a bit of a sleep regression and is up every two hours at night. I know that this is what it was like when he was first born, but somehow it didn't seem quite so exhausting then. I think the addition of the 5:30 start to the day (where he used to stay in bed with me until 9:00) may have something to do with it. I spend a lot of time napping with him during the day, which cuts into all other activities, including knitting. And reading. I have managed to start another book though: Radical Gardening. When I first cracked it open the thing I noticed was how small the margins were. My eyes were assaulted by the volume of text. I take this as a sign that it may take me awhile to get through this one!

It's hard to believe that we're just a few short days away from August and, with it, Silas turns six months old. I really couldn't fathom what he would be like at this point when we were just starting out. A friend brought her five-week-old to my mommy's group yesterday and it was such a reminder of how much things have changed since March when Silas was that age. He smiles and laughs and is generally more interactive with us and with his environment. His whole body is open and kicking, instead of tightly coiled and curled. We communicate better. I can put him down for longer stretches. I feel more confident and less confined to the house.

All through the newborn period people kept telling me how fast it would go and that before I knew it I would be up all night waiting for him to come home instead of up all night nursing. Those comments were so unhelpful because they felt so abstract. I was so in the moment of our lives that I really couldn't imagine what changes the passage of one month would bring, let alone sixteen years. It felt like the way things were was the way that they would always be. And now, six months in, I still can't wrap my mind around the changes that still await us. In my mind at this moment, he will always be just how he is. Even crawling seems so impossible, even though I know it's just around the corner, really.

For more Yarn-ing Along head on over to Small Things.

10 comments:

  1. Nap when you can Courtney, the knitting will be there waiting. Yes, the time does go by so quickly. I can't believe that four of my children can now vote! Enjoy every moment! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy every moment of Silas :) I honestly have enjoyed my children from infancy to adulthood. I do love the blanket and a couple of rows done is a couple of rows you do not have to do!! Get your rest and maybe next week will be a knitting week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, that book looks like great fun! I remember people giving me clothes for my son when he was a wee one. Every time I'd look at his tiny body & then the enormous outfits and think, "he won't wear those for AGES" ;-). Enjoy your naps!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The knitting will come when the time is right. Enjoy Silas and his ever-changing wonderfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I agree with the other posters ~ sleep first, knit later. Think of it this way - not only will you feel better, your knitting will improve when you have naps too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only made a little progress on my knitting, too. Don't beat yourself up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are right about that baby time flying by! My little one is 5 months today!! So let all else go..yes even the knitting.....and snuggle that baby up!! I get my knitting done while nursing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just thinking yesterday that I wished I could stop time with Phoebe for awhile.... just long enough to really, truly enjoy her before she changed again. Where does the time go? I was certainly knitting a lot more before she arrived than I do now!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy seeing it grow so please post more "yarn alongs"..! :-) Looks lovely! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Courtney. I so get it. My children didn't begin fully sleeping through the night till like two months ago, and they are 7 and 5! lol. Even my 7 year old was up multiple times last night with nightmares. Each stage is a journey. Each comes with its own blessings and challenges. Like you, there is a pile of crafts, knitting, sewing, in my closet just waiting for the time to be completed. Every time I read blogs that have new projects I wonder how the heck I can't get my own done and they seem too. I have no magic answer for you there, just that you find peace with your own reality LONG before I did! lol.

    :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete