Yarn Along | For Mom


It has not yet been cast on (which may be an indicator of how this project will go), but my intention is to knit something for myself for the first time ever. I chose the Traveling Woman shawl because I was inspired by how beautifully Swanski's turned out. Isn't it lovely? It seems like the perfect thing for a mama to throw over her shoulders in late summer, with the added benefit of being a very delicate and discrete on-the-go nursing cover. This will also be my first "go" at lace, which I'm feeling pretty good about actually. We'll see if I'm still singing that tune once I have a chance to dig in.

On the bookshelf is Thriving Beyond Sustainability. It's somewhat of a reference book, cataloging past and present sustainability initiatives from around the world. Its intention seems to illustrate for the reader just how diverse the possibilities are and to inspire her/him to get active. I find it to be a little bit dry. I feel less "fired up" and more like I'm reading an encyclopedia. I don't know why I keep reading it, especially since my reading time is so limited and precious, it would probably be better spent on something that I actually enjoy. It's really hard for me to quit on a book, though. I've done it so few times in my life. The first was in third grade...I started reading a book about the Andes mountains and never finished it. I still feel guilty about it.

Happy Wednesday to you and hop over to Small Things for more Yarn Along goodness.

11 comments:

  1. I saw the shawl pattern on Swanski's site and feel in love with it too. It is so pretty.
    I understand about not wanting to quit a book you have started [I did it for the first time last year], but sometimes you just have to! There are too many Great books just waiting to be picked up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous shawl! Can't wait to see it on you. I'm still fearing lace, but have a squillion yards of kid silk haze waiting to become something for myself. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen that shawl before and LOVE it. Hope it turns out well. I want to knit a shawl for myself before the cooler weather comes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo! I knit that shawl last summer as my introduction to lace shawl knitting. Loved that pattern!

    You'll be fine. Here's a helpful hint: If you can, put a stitchmarker between each pattern repeat. That way, if you do make a mistake, you can find it quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? Knit something for yourself? Not possible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I know you can knit the lace on this shawl, you have great knitting skills. And I would have never thought to use a shawl as a nursing curtain-BRILLIANT- and stylish :) I love the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun with the lace! I haven't tried lace before but I've been inspired (by Swanski) to try the composition shawl. Enjoy that beautiful blue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shawl is a great idea while nursing. A nice lovely for mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The shawl is lovely...I haven't the nerve for lace yet (I might find it if I had a cave into which I could escape these rowdy, noisy kids, though!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That spunds like a lovely project...can't wait to see the completed item!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the color you chose! I think it is sort of funny how I rarely knit anything for myself. I guess things for adults are so much bigger and take so much longer that I stick with things for the kiddos. I promised myself that this fall I will find time to knit myself a new hat!

    ReplyDelete