Ode to Strawberries


Every year, it seems, strawberry season comes and goes without my really knowing. This was the first year that I called upon the spirit of my grandma Bert (who was the original lover of strawberries) and took the smallest of steps towards doing a little fruit preserving and enjoying the bounty. In addition to Steve's Father's Day strawberry and rhubarb pie, we...

Made a ricotta and strawberry tart,


Froze a couple quarts for later use in smoothies, 


Made a small batch of Strawberry and Vanilla Bean Jam,
(Recipe from Food in Jars)


 Baked a rhubarb cream cheese pie, topped with fresh strawberries,


and made yummy, yummy Strawberry Shortcakes.


It was just a fraction of what we "could" have put up, but I'm so happy that we've started and you have to start somewhere. Next up...blueberries.

You may also notice that all of my recipes came from Rustic Fruit Desserts. Go get your hands on this book now. From cover to cover, everything in it is (or looks) so darn good.

13 comments:

  1. It all looks so very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I Need that book! Our blueberries are about done, but figs and peaches are in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work (and all of your strawberry creations look delicious)! It certainly can be a challenge to seize the moment and get all the washing, canning, and freezing done in that short window of ripeness (especially with a babe in tow). We have been celebrating strawberries around here, too--yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, it all looks so amazing. Strawberries have - finally - just ripened here! Not sure if/when we'll get to pick our own, but at least the farmers bring them into the city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM - you've done an amazing job this year! Everything looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum. I wish I was headed to your house for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my idea of bliss is to have strawberry shortcake for dessert three times a day!!!

    i've been eating raspberries that grow in the alley behind my store for a couple of days now... sweet!

    it was great spending time with you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! Oh how I love strawberries, we had some tonight with whipped vanilla cream - delicious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my! Yum. They all look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yum. I'm a strawberry fanatic, and these pictures made my mouth water... I think I need to go get more, immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very hungry after reading your post :) the best part of summer is all the berries!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It all looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE strawberry shortcakes. Looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete