How I Started to Love Kale

This week's CSA brought us kale, Yukon gold potatoes, snow peas, brocolini, and an enormous head of napa cabbage. I'm going to have to do some digging and get creative to come up with uses for all of it!


Some of the napa cabbage went into this cabbage salad with peanut basil dressing.


Surprise! Another stir fry! This one is beef with brocolini and cabbage.
(Recipe in Chinese Cuisine)


The kale and potatoes went into our old stand-by Zuppa Toscana. The first year that we joined a CSA we were inundated with kale, a leafy green that neither Steve nor I had ever eaten before. We were at a complete loss as to what to do with it. A friend suggested that I use it as a garnish, but that just seemed such a waste to me. What I was searching for were yummy recipes that would get this superfood into my body where it could do some good. Zuppa Toscana was one of those recipes. We made it at least once a week that summer in order to use up all that kale. Our repertoire has broadened a bit, but this is still an old favorite that we like to revisit often.


Zuppa Toscana

1/2 lb. bacon
2 links hot Italian sausage (about 1/2 lb.)
1/2 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 C. chicken stock
3-4 Yukon gold potatoes, sliced
2 C. kale, cut into ribbons
1/3 C. heavy cream
salt, to taste

1. In a cast iron skillet, fry the bacon. When crisp, remove to a plate lined with brown paper.
2. Remove sausage casings and crumble fry sausage in the bacon grease.
3. Meanwhile, in a stockpot, heat 2 TBS. olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until soft.
4. Add chicken stock and potatoes to the stockpot and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
6. Add kale, sausage, bacon, and salt to taste (not a lot is necessary!). Cook until heated through (about 5 minutes).
7. Enjoy!

For more CSA recipes, check out Earth Mama.

16 comments:

  1. I love these posts of how you use your CSA! You are very inventive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe sounds great! Have you ever prepared kale chips? They really are good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing what the csa exposes us too they can be so yummy. You pictures are wonderful.
    I agree the kale chips are a yummy snack.
    Preheat oven 350 degrees.
    Wash kale then with scissors cut the middle vein out and then cut leaves into pieces. In a bowl mix with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Lay on cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes turning once and be sure not too burn.
    My mom puts kale in some of the soups and minestrone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two words: Kale Chips

    http://naturalparentsnetwork.com/kale-chips/

    We also enjoy cooked kale (boil in water just enough to make it soft, then remove from the water) with olive oil poured on along with a bit of salt. So delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Tis the season for greens -- I just did a post on the topic, too! We made a kale and bean soup last night, and I'm thinking about another batch of crispy kale/kale chips as part of tonight's meal.

    Your cabbage salad looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Kale- Kale chips are so yummy- we put kale on our pizza last night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl- you are KILLING me with these recipes! I want to make every single one! Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love kale and your recipe sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Kale too - especially as a gratin. I have to say your beef stir fry is the most delicious looking thing i have seen on a blog for a long while. I wanted to eat it right off the screen. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Kale. LOVE IT! I am going to have to make this. My SIL made it once for dinner but wouldn't share the recipe. She's weird that way... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love when you post pictures of your recipes. Yum yum yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are kale lovers here, too. The massaged kale salad in Feeding the Whole Family is my favorite way to eat it--and you don't even have to cook it, which is nice for hot days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it is amazing how many veggies I know of and eat now as an adult that I never even heard of before! Kale was definitely one of those, but I couldn't imagine my life without it now...it has become a staple at our house! The soup sounds good. I would so love a big bowl of that on chilly nights! Thanks for sharing!

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum!

    Kale chips are about the only way my boys will eat it, but I love it steamed or toss it in to make stock.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just realized that your Zuppa Toscana could also work with swiss chard greens! It's are taking over my garden, I must do something with it all!

    ReplyDelete