Yarn Along: Squishie


As delightful as I'm sure it is to see Silas' blanket unfold one row at a time, I thought I'd cast on something new to share today. We are at a really fun stage of development where Silas is able to grasp for objects and sweep them in towards his mouth where he gums them with delight. I thought some soft knitted balls would be great for practicing this new skill. The pattern is from Itty Bitty Toys and the yarn is some cotton that made its way to me when my mom gave me all of her knitting accouterments. She took up the hobby very briefly, but intensely, in the late 1970s. She collected needles of almost every size, stitch markers, and knitting doo-dads galore, all which she passed on to me. I finally conceded that I would probably never use the mostly acrylic yarn in her stash, so I passed it along to someone who would, but I kept this skein of seafoam green cotton, which I think is perfect for this little project. It's my first time knitting on dpns (!) and I might stab myself (or someone else) with all of them before the project is through.


In my reading life, I'm about halfway through Kitchen Literacy, which is absolutely fascinating. I have read much about the death knell of the small, diversified family farm in the last fifty years, but this book goes back to the nineteenth and late eighteenth centuries to chart the history of how we got to our current food system and the general illiteracy of where food comes from or how to prepare it. So interesting. I also just picked up The Wonder Weeks, which has been so very helpful in guiding my understanding of some of Silas' fussiness. It explains the eight big mental growth spurts that all babies go through, when to expect them, and why they cause babes to get fussy and seemingly regress for a couple weeks every now and then. So far, it's been right on target with when we've had difficult periods. When he's up for the fourth or fifth time at night I try to remind myself that his little body and brain are doing a lot of growing right now and that's really hard work. It helps me to remember to treat him with kindness and compassion instead of frustration, which is all too easy to slip into at 4:00 A.M.

For more Yarn Along goodness, head on over to Ginny's blog Small Things.

And there's still time to enter my Give-Away for an organic cotton Rumpkinz diaper!

16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful color that green is! If your mom passed any metal single-point needles your way that you don't want, I'd be happy to trade for my wooden ones. :-) I have a strange old-school, metal, needle fetish and really don't like knitting with wood ... even though that's mostly what I have. Even though my boy is 4 1/2 yrs, I sometimes think those baby books are still relevant for us - he's currently in a regression phase & often wakes around 4:30am! Keep the coffee flowing I say! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got to order Kitchen Literacy! That book would be perfect reading material for everyone in my home since many of us [me vs. them] have different views of food.
    I love the yarn you kept from your mom..the color is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture of the baby with the yarn ball in the mouth is so cute.
    I'll have to check that book and put it on my wish list sounds interesting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to look for Kitchen Literacy at the library - it sounds fantastic!
    I love that seafoam. Have fun with the dpns - I struggled at the beginning with them but then I got the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book sounds really interesting, I'm going to have a look for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful yarn!
    Kitchen literacy sounds fascinating. I'll look that one up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck with the dpns! i found that sometimes those needle ends get dangerously close to my eyes when i lean over to check my progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving the color of this yarn!!!!

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you've found a baby book that is comforting.
    And woohoo! to the dpn's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to read Kitchen Literacy, it sounds really interesting. The squishie looks way nicer than the plastic version of it... good luck on the double pointeds:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that seafoam green color, very bright and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kitchen Literacy looks fascinating. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely green - and so satisfying to knit a toy with love for your baby. There will be no stopping you with dpns after this!
    I love the sound of that book and may have to peruse that well known online place :)
    Tea leave knit along? Why not? Sounds a fun idea, but I am very slow. Are you on revelry?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that color green!

    Good luck with the dpns. They are a bit fiddly at first, but you'll get the hang of them in no time!

    ReplyDelete