While Wandering

The Little Bug and I have gotten into the habit of taking walks whenever we go into town to run an errand. We live in a suburban development where there are no sidewalks. The road that runs in front of our house has a speed limit of 55 (although you would think that it was 70) and is more heavily traveled than we thought it would be. In short, when I walk out my front door I hit a wall. There is no place to walk. I feel so absurd getting into the car and driving to a place that is walker-friendly, but that's what we end up doing. To at least justify the trip a little bit, I head to town with the purpose of running some errand. Once there, I pop Silas into the sling, where he usually falls asleep, and we walk around wherever we happen to be. Since this has become such a rhythmic and regular thing for us, I thought I might start documenting what what see in all the different places that we walk. What we see While Wandering.

These are from our wanderings after a trip to the hardware store to procure tomato cages.







Happy Summer Solstice to you!
What do you see while you wander?

16 comments:

  1. Happy summer to you! I live on a long dirt road so I see pines and fields. And I hope not to see snakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You live in such a pretty area! Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sidewalks should be be in any neighbourhood - much safer for kids (and adults) when you get around to friends and such.

    Oh, I have quite a lot of nature around so that´s what I see when I´m out on the dogwalks. Trees and a deer if I´m lucky! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is beauty to be noticed everywhere if we care to look - and you have done just that. We used to live by a very busy road, but now we are by the sea and have some very special sacred places around us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I LOVE the tree!! It's so beautiful when we can notice the little things :). Happy Solstice to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad Barefoot Crofter said that. It really made me think. I live in Houston, which is regarded by many as the ugliest place on earth. I kind of agree. I live here because it was where I was born and it's where all of my family lives. So, I'm going to take it upon myself to walk around tomorrow, take the kids in the wagon, sweat our asses off, and find some beauty. It's a great perspective to take. I don't live in the best neighborhood and it certainly doesn't look as nice as yours, but I'm going to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun that you get to wander to new places frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there- I did send you an email with my contact info yesterday, but it must not have gone through? I tried again, but I'll put it here too..amr_81988 at hotmail dot com Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. we live in a historic district, so can walk around old houses, a college campus, two lakes and a downtown. i feel lucky just writing that! we love walking through the alleys and down to the lake to feed the ducks at night after supper. i love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That tree is just wonderful. I love the patterns in the bark.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a shame about the sidewalks but I love this idea! That tree is incredible. I'm looking forward to more of your wanderings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand your situation exactly. When we lived in Kansas, we were just across the road from our small town -- that road being a highway where the speed limit was 70mph. There was town, less then a half-mile away, and I couldn't walk to it. So I'd drive into town to take walks with my new baby girl.

    I love the loveliness you found in everyday places.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i made my own while wandering post! http://thefreedomthree.blogspot.com/2011/06/while-wandering_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. 'Love the details in these flower photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved your post... your photos are lovely and one especially caught my eye. The post with the heart sweater on it--what is the story with those? I came across one "dressed from head to toe" today and while it looked lovely, I had to wonder if there is more to the story...is there or are crafters just doing anonymous decorating around towns these days?

    ReplyDelete