In this week's CSA box we found: mixed Asian greens, mixed salad greens, kohlrabi, snow peas, new potatoes, and basil.
Spending a couple of days away from home always throws off my meal planning. There are the days away, of course, but then there is always that day or two after we return that we just can't quite pull a meal together and we end up scrounging. By "scrounging" I really mean eating bacon sandwiches. Bacon is pretty much always my last stop nothing-else-in-the-house-to-eat meal. I'm not complaining about that, by the way.
So, for this week's CSA I can tell you my grand plans for our produce, as we haven't used much of it yet, but I don't have yummy pictures to show you. But oh! The anticipation for next week!
The mixed greens and kohlrabi have been or will be eaten in salads. The new potatoes are going into a hash and poached egg dish I have planned for tonight.
The snow peas will go into a beef and snow pea stir fry over rice.
(recipe in Chinese Cuisine)
The basil will go in Tomato Basil Soup and the mixed Asian greens will go into Bathing Rama.
(recipes in Feeding the Whole Family)
But I can't let you go without sharing at least one recipe with you, can I? No, of course not! So, here is a chicken stir fry from last week that has a medley of Farmer's Market produce in it.
Spring Farmer's Market Stir Fry
3/4 lb. chicken, sliced
* 1/2 T. cooking sherry
* 1 T. soy sauce
* 1 T. corn starch
* 1 tsp. sesame oil
canola oil, for frying
3-4 dried hot red peppers, chopped
1 large or 2-3 small spring onions, cut into a large dice
2-3 garlic scapes, chopped into half inch segments
3 C. greens (Napa cabbage, bok choy, or other Asian greens), shredded
# 1/2 T. cooking sherry
# 2 T. soy sauce
# 2 T. water
# 2 tsp. sugar
# 2 tsp. cornstarch
# 2 tsp. white vinegar
1/2 C. dry roasted cashews
cooked brown rice, for serving
1. Whisk * ingredients together and add sliced chicken. Allow to marinate while you chop the veggies.
2. Mix # ingredients and reserve until later.
3. Heat canola oil in a wok. When oil ripples, add chicken and stir fry. When cooked, remove to a plate.
4. Reheat wok and oil and stir fry dried peppers, onion, and garlic scapes until fragrant.
5. Add greens and stir fry until bright green and wilted.
6. Return chicken to pan.
7. Add # sauce and quickly stir fry.
8. Add cashews and stir to mix.
9. Serve over cooked brown rice and enjoy!
For more CSA recipes check out Lisa's blog Earth Mama 101.