Mushrooms in My Garden


In a burst of (long overdue) gardening motivation, I weeded our raised beds the other day. We kept our plantings minimal this spring, knowing that our time to tend them would be limited. Just a few tomatoes and peppers, a row of radishes, and some cucumbers. Enough to feel that we're making use of our space and an excuse to get our hands dirty. I was head-down and focused when these guys surprised me.


I used to post quite frequently about the various fungi that I found growing in my garden and yard.There were plenty that I observed this fall, but I didn't have a chance to document them. I've missed the close observation and research that goes along with their identification. Making spore prints and taking measurements. Comparing and searching.


My first thought, as irrational as it might be, was "how did a shell get into my raised beds?" The caps are the most beautiful opalescent ivory and yellow. It took a moment for my mind to process that I was looking at a mushroom and not a gift from some ancient sea.

The gills, so feathery and ruffled, made me smile. Like a young girl's dress with the sole purpose of being twirled. Such delight from something so small and unassuming.

9 comments:

  1. "The gills, so feathery and ruffled, made me smile. Like a young girl's dress with the sole purpose of being twirled"
    This, is the most beautiful thing I have read in a while...simply lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous post - photos and words. I agree with Mandy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! And your lovely words to match!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How charming to find such beauty and magic somewhere so unexpected. Thank you for commenting on my blog, it made me realise that I had totally inadvertently 'borrowed' the name of your blog for a recent post I did about a camping trip. And now I will visit you regularly. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Believe it or not, I've never found a mushroom in my PNW garden...so odd. But, I think this year we'll "help" by bringing in some spores. So happy I'm not alone in my love for fungus. Wish you could have been here for our Mushroom Mania festival last month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful! can you eat it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! the first image is fantastic- as kids we used to have big mornings out with the family, mushrooming on frosty hillsides. i'd love to know more about edible vs. non-edible so we could go foragng where i live now. lovely post...

    ReplyDelete