Family Art

In the hours and hours that I spend sitting nursing (on the couch, in the rocking chair, in the bed...) I've really had a chance to study my space. I realized the other day what a great portion of what we've chosen to decorate our walls is artwork created by our family members.


There are intaglio prints that I clumsily made in grad school.


Pencil drawings sketched by my great-grandmother almost 115 years ago.


A painting by 18-year-old Steve.


A woodcut of a Japanese girl that my mom made when she was in high school (that went on to win a blue ribbon at the state fair!).

And a charcoal drawing called "Church Windows" that Steve's mom drew when she was in college.

I really love that our home is warmed with these things and filled with the creative spirit of those who created them.

9 comments:

  1. How lovely! We don't have much wallspace to hag stuff, but about 75% of what is hung is photographs that I have taken. I think it make the house so personal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That´s great - especially love your great grandmothers sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredibly talented family you have!! I love the pencil drawing by your great-grandmother and your mother's work is just incredible. It must've taken her forever to do that!! : )

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! you have a really artistic family. neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these are beautiful.
    So great you have so many artists in your family - and amazing that you still have these works of art ;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have family art creations in the house as well. Yours is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so incredible! I would love to have art to hang with such meaning and attachment...I'll admit most of ours is from IKEA. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. The art in your home is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful. It means so much more. Take precious care and have a fabulous week. Katie xxx

    ReplyDelete