CSA: Potatoes and Basil and Kohlrabi, Oh My!

This week our CSA included:  Bok choy, new potatoes, spring salad mix, kohlrabi, basil, and peas.


We're starting to get to the part of summer that I love; when there are actual vegetables that we can sink our teeth into in our box and not just greens (not that we don't love the greens!).

So, here's the breakdown: The spring mix and kohlrabi were consumed as part of big supper salads.

The bok choy was included in a delicious pork stir fry.
(Recipe in Chinese Cuisine)


The new potatoes went into a warming tofu miso soup.


And the peas went into a not-too-spicy green pea curry.


After college, I worked briefly at Barnes and Noble. This is either the best or the worst job for a bibliophile, depending on how you look at it. I loved being surrounded by and talking about books all day. But, the employee discount was also really good, making the spending of my entire paycheck in the store an all too common occurrence. One book from the sale table that I couldn't pass up was Michele Cranston's Fresh. I was drawn to it, honestly, because the photographs are amazing. Everything in it looks delicious. But what sold me was that it was arranged by season. We've made a fair number of the recipes and they're good, but we've found that they are consistently on the bland side. The green pea curry was no exception, so we jazzed it up a bit from how it's printed.


Green Pea Curry
Adapted from Fresh by Michele Cranston

2 Tbs. oil
2 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large white onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground turmeric
2 tsp. curry powder
1 chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
3 large tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
1/2 C. chicken stock
1 tsp. fresh mint, finely chopped
2 C. fresh peas
salt, to taste
juice of 1 lemon
cooked brown rice, to serve

1. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan. When hot, add the mustard seeds and cook until they start to pop.
2. Add the ginger, garlic, onion, and salt and cook until the onions are soft.
3. Add the cumin, turmeric, curry powder, and chili pepper. Cook for a minute or two.
4. Add tomatoes and chicken stock and simmer for a minute or two.
5. Add the mint and the peas. Cover and cook for 15-18 minutes, until the peas are tender.
6. Adjust seasoning if necessary, finish with the lemon juice, and serve over cooked brown rice.
7. Enjoy!

For more CSA goodies and recipes head on over to Earth Mama.

10 comments:

  1. I am preparing the green pea curry tonight for dinner! Our pea season is past, but I do have some lovely frozen ones that I can use. Thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything you have shown looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! It all looks wonderful - especially that pork stir-fry.
    I think I'd be dangerous with an employee discount at a book store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love nothing more than peas and curry! we do a pea curry with green curry paste that i love. the hubs gets some shrimp thrown in this at the last minute (i'm allergic). and stir fry...when i don't know what to cook, it usually ends up being stir fry just because it's so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks so delicious! I am going to try the pea curry....soon! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Our garden is overflowing with snap peas right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, these meals look good! This is our first time participating in a CSA, and I'm loving it! We're only in the second week (it rained so much here that it got off to a late start), so we've gotten a lot of greens so far, but since I'm a vegetarian, I'm still very excited.

    I'll have to try this recipe... It looks like something my daughter would love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow...your food looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you need to quit posting such gorgeous food pictures... you are making me RAVENOUS! (just kidding about the pictures. keep posting 'em!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for new potatos! I cant wait for those...and baby bok is one of my fav veggies of all time. Thanks for linking up and for the great recipe ideas. Sounds like maybe you should publish a seasonal recipe book!

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete