CSA Day

The third week of our CSA brought us (from left to right): Chinese cabbage, arugula, kohlrabi, rhubarb, green lettuce, and bok choy.


The bok choy went into Yakisoba (recipe in Feeding the Whole Family).


The lettuce, arugula, and kohlrabi (as well as many other veggies languishing in our crisper drawer) were cut up for a big supper salad.

The cabbage was stir fried, along with some beef, and served over rice. I grew up in a very small town and there were not any Chinese restaurants in the immediate area. My mom did make "Chinese" which consisted of that big can of lo mein noodles and sauce (you know the one) heated and served over crunchy noodles and maybe topped with some peanuts or raisins. I hated it. I thought it was incredibly gross (and I was right) and refused to eat it. So, for the longest time I thought I just didn't like Chinese food...but then I realized there was a lot more out there that I just hadn't experienced yet.

I picked up a really wonderful Chinese cookbook at the thrift store and it has become our go-to and we make a lot of stir frys now. They're so easy to make and are a great way to make very little meat stretch a long way.


Beef and Chinese Cabbage Stir Fry
adapted from Chinese Cuisine by Huang Su-Huei

1/2 pound grass fed beef
* 1/2 T. cooking wine
* 1/2 T. water
* 1 T. soy sauce
* 1 T. cornstarch
* 1 tsp. sesame oil
3 TBS. canola oil for frying
1/2 pound green Chinese cabbage, sliced into ribbons
1 large spring onion, chopped into a large dice
1/2 inch ginger root, sliced
# 1 1/2 T. oyster sauce
# 1 T. soy sauce
# 1/2 T. cooking wine
# 2 T. water
# sprinkle of sugar
# 1 tsp. sesame oil
# grind of black pepper
# 2 tsp. cornstarch
Cooked brown rice for serving

1. Mix the * ingredients in a bowl. Slice beef very thinly and add to marinade.
2. Whisk # ingredients together into a bowl and set aside.
3. Heat a wok with the canola oil and stir fry cabbage with a sprinkling of salt until the cabbage is limp. Use a tongs to remove to a strainer or colander, press to drain and set aside.
4. If necessary, add a little more oil to the wok and allow to heat. Stir fry meat until just cooked and then remove.
5. Stir fry onion and ginger root briefly (about 2 min. or until fragrant). Return meat to wok.
6. Add sauce made from # ingredients and quickly stir fry.
7. Place a scoop of rice in a bowl, add a generous helping of cabbage, and top with saucy meat mixture.
8. Enjoy!

(For more CSA recipes, head on over to Earth Mama and see what Lisa has to share!)

11 comments:

  1. Looks very delicious indeed, thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love to see how you are using all of your csa vegetables. i'm already finding it challenging to figure out how we will eat everything, but enjoy coming up with new ways to finish it all. chard on a black bean burger? sure. that'll work. and salads are the best for using up lots of vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mom is going to start getting csa goodies next week! AND she's splitting it all with me! Yay for moms! yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun that your CSA box is making you branch out in the recipe world. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courtney- that looks FANTASTIC! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh. my.
    that stir-fry looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your story about why you disliked Chinese food...and how nice that you found that cookbook at the thrift and you are now finding joy in some of it. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Enjoy your weekend!

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm mmm. I'm craving Chinese stir-fry now! Way to use those veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummmmmiiieeee
    Looks so good now I am hungry.
    can't wait to try the Beef and Chinese Cabbage Stir Fry out.
    xoxo
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. This stir fry looks fantastic. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks lovely! My husband and I eat a lot of stir frys like this. In fact, I grew up on dishes like this because of my Cantonese background! Mum always did a good beef and bok choy stir fry. :)
    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete