Yarn Along


Yarning along again with Ginny today at Small Things. Silas' blanket is coming along. I try to do at least two rows every night after the little nipper falls asleep. At this rate, I should be done by fall, which would be just perfect. Why don't I knit during his naps you may ask? Well, my baby thinks naps are for wusses. Hence The No-Cry Nap Solution. I've read Pantley's No-Cry Sleep Solution already, but this title has some great suggestions that are unique to naps. And it really is a list of suggestions, none of which involve leaving your babe to cry it out. In all of the baby and childcare books that I've read--and there have been many--I'm very skeptical of the ones that claim one-size-fits-all solutions to problems. Books that claim that "all" babies should act in a certain way generally don't get a second glance from me. All babies are different. All families are different and what works for one may not work for another. Even the definition of what it means for something to "work" can be so variable. I like to keep my options open and try a variety of things and do what feels right for us.

Also on the reading table is Deeply Rooted a profile of three unconventional modern farmers. I'm just starting, but so far they are very interesting characters.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you find some help in the sleep books... when Finn was a babe, I think I read every one out there. He is now 3.5 and still only sleeps through the night a couple of times a week! I think you are correct that there is not a one-size fits all solution and whatever advice you do find that helps, you still need to adapt it to your situation. We found that Finn really needed to be on a schedule, even though Todd and I were trying to avoid that for our own sake.
    We are hoping that Phoebe will be a better sleeper..... so far, so good! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I read a bajillion sleep books that first year! You're right, you'll find your way. Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the sleep books work wonders for you! Sad to say, they did nothing for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you can get some nap-time rest one of these days!

    Your blanket looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete