Used Toys

So far, I've been very lucky in my kid's-toy-finds at Goodwill. It probably helps that I go there fairly frequently, but I've been fortunate to find everything from brand new Melissa & Doug puzzles that are still in the package, to a hand-made wooden train made by a local artisan. All for just a couple dollars. My most recent acquisition is this vintage Playskool Village from, I believe, the 1960s.


It's a container of blocks that one can put together in endless combinations to build a town. It originally came with a mat that had roads and such printed on it. This set lacks that, but it seems like a replacement would be easy enough to make. I was absolutely enthralled by the blurb on the side of the can:


Because building an "urban renewal" is exactly what I want my children to do. When I brought it home, Steve asked if there were, perhaps, blocks to represent a ghetto that could be gentrified for said urban renewal, but, alas, there is not. All that aside, I still think it's a pretty solid activity. I have very fond memories of my own set of blocks and building houses and bridges out of them.

We've talked a lot about the type and quantity of toys that we want our kids to have. There's just so much out there. Too much. I really want each item to be chosen deliberately and with care. To be well-made and to encourage open-ended creative play. To be beautiful items that they will want to pass along to their own children.

5 comments:

  1. Great find- I was lucky that my parents live in the same house since before I was born and have kept many of the wooden timeless toys- You little one will chew and play with those for hours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky your little one is that you have put so much thought into this :) It never completely hit me untill I was about due to have my 3rd that all those plastic noisy toys with popularized charcters were stifeling my kids play. That is when we started weeding out those toys and bringing in more blocks and handmade toys, really putting the thought into what we give our kids to play with. Wish I would have done it sooner, but better late than never!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Score! You have found some good stuff. I think you are right - the key is to visit the thrift store often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I came over from Rural Revival..after reading your previous posts all I can say is what a beautiful mom you are going to be...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found a canvas playskool village mat today while thrifting!! The mats on ebay are plastic and dated to sets in the 60's or 70's so I guess this one is from the 50's. I found your blog while trying to research it. Goodwill is one of my favorites as well.

    ReplyDelete