Showers for Babies


Sunday found us at Steve's parents' home where we ate much cake, cooed over tiny newborn clothing, and visited with family. Yes, it was a baby shower. It was perfectly "us": small, low-key, mixed gender, devoid of cutesy games, and full of good food. I think that if we'd had our druthers, neither of us would have pressed to have a shower at all. We're both a little uncomfortable being at the center of a roomful of people's attention. But, it was lovely and we feel so blessed to have family to honor us and our new little one in such a way. The absolute best part, without a doubt, was the passing on to us of many handmade family items. There were old crocheted blankets from both sides of the family, a blanket and ring that were my mom's when she was a babe, and a precious hand-knitted wool diaper cover that was worn by Steve's mom. I was overwhelmed by it all. 

6 comments:

  1. Lovely- so exciting- hope you are feeling well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds fantastic! You certainly deserve it Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the shower was such a good experience :) Having just attended (and helped plan) my sister's baby shower, I feel a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing and am leaning toward opting out when my turn rolls around in a few months.

    Your experience sounds like the wedding shower my MIL threw for us, which was lovely, so maybe I'll go for something like that. What I don't want from a shower, or in general for baby-to-be, is lots of "stuff."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds special and wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete