Birth Kit


Our home birth kit arrived a couple of days ago.  I had a moment in which I started to panic that I hadn't ordered it yet, thinking that it could never come in time and then what would I do.  Of course, it was on my doorstep two days later and I still have plenty of weeks of waiting.  I've never been an in-person witness to a hospital birth or experienced one myself, but it seems that there are so many more accoutrements in that setting than are in this small box.  Of course, our midwives have their own supplies that they will bring, but everything in here seems so simple.  Just some sterile gloves.  Some gauze.  The basics.  I like it. 

The little newborn cap makes me tear up a little.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were planning a home birth. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I have a list of supplies I need to get for mine.... the whole kit idea seems pretty nice and simple though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just talking to my husband about this last night -- wondering aloud what we would need to provide and what the midwife would provide -- so I'm glad to see this, and excited to hear about another planned home birth. We have a while to go yet, and the first step is actually choosing our midwife, but it's good to know about this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brought a pang to my heart. I do so miss my work as a midwife, and seeing your birth kit reminds me of how fulfilling it is to attend a birth. How wonderful you will be in your own home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only real supply that you need is love, and you have an abundance of that already! Sending gentle, peaceful birthing thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, courtney! i didn't know you were having a home birth. good for you! when i lived in the netherlands i learned that so many women have their babies at home there. it's pretty routine. i'm always glad to hear of people choosing home birth here. it seems like such a bold decision since it's not the norm. i'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete