To explain my absence


Wow. I never intended the title of that last post to have a dual meaning. My intention was not to bolt; I promise. But the last three or so months have been awful and wonderful and I don't know how else to share the news other than to blurt it out. The Cable Family is growing by one. I took the above picture several weeks ago, so I am no longer at the "apple" stage of the fruit basket comparisons of fetal development. I think now we're up to "length of a banana."

The first trimester found me unsurprisingly sick, but surprisingly also a bit apathetic. It was the strangest thing. I really couldn't tolerate many of the things that I used to really take pleasure in. Writing here was one of them. Reading was another. Because I define myself in large part as an "avid reader," suddenly finding myself not able to pick up a book (or read a magazine or even a web page) had me a little bit concerned and somewhat down. My Midwife said that many times our focuses shift during pregnancy and perhaps mine was just shifting inward and away from outside stimuli. Perhaps. But, I am glad that it is finally abating. I am happily able to crack a book again and I've finally found the motivation to sit down and write. I've missed it. Only as I'm writing this now do I realize how much. I miss the community and the feedback and the quiet time during every day to reflect.  I want this space to be a part of my life again. I feel so out of the loop! I have much catching up to do. As I'm making some transitions in my work life and still trying to put my well-being (and sleep!) first, I'm not sure yet how often I can visit this space, but I hope it is fairly regular.

Finally, I have to thank you. For sticking with me and most of all, to those who sent me messages to make sure that all was well. It is. It really, really is.

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm pretty sure that life changes long before the baby arrives. I had pretty substantial fatigue during my first trimester and I remember it being a completely different kind of tired. It's a happy time but your body has it's own issues to deal with in the meantime.

    Take your time, as far as blogging goes. I'm not going anywhere. : )

    Be well ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Courtney! What wonderful news! I'm so happy for you. I had often wondered where you had retreated to, but I hoped you would return in your own time. I'm glad you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mazel Tov C!
    That is great news- I am so glad you are back and I'm still here!

    Totally missed YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!! Oh how exciting! CONGRATULATIONS Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you!! Congrats. I've missed you. Glad you have such happy news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOHOO! Congrats! Happy to find out everything is A OK. I was actually the same way pregnant with my son 6 years ago...couldn't read at all, and SO unlike me, but I was SO sick maybe our bodies are just trying to tell us to rest.

    Hoping you are feeling fabulous now and take good care of yourself! (So, SO glad it was good news that kept you away!)

    :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!! How exciting! When are you due?
    I am also pregnant (almost 18 weeks) and I found myself presented with the same problems, really just until a couple of weeks ago. This pregnancy has made me so sick and so apathetic, and my first pregnancy was not at all like that, so it took me by surprise! I was rarely making blogs posts (or reading them), didn't feel motivated enough to take any photos (which is normally my favorite thing to do!), and even watching movies seemed like an actual chore. I just wanted to sit.
    Glad to know I am not the only one smacked in the face by laziness during their pregnancy. I am so happy to be feeling more like myself these part couple weeks and I am glad to hear you are feeling the same as well.
    Glad you are back and wishing you a fantastic remainder of your pregnancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations courtney! glad to have you back~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to you!! I keep checking to see if you're there and was so delighted to hear from you again tonight!! I missed you very much, but understand. I'm so glad all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Courtney! Amazing news! Yay! The very best reason to take a little blogging break. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray! Congratulations! I've been away a little myself and am so happy to hear that you have been up to such a lovely thing as growing your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations. Glad you are back. I was just going through my google reader today and saw there were 3 posts by you. Hope your pregnancy goes well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! Glad to hear you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely picture! And Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your blog from your guest post at The Green Phone Booth, and I'm so happy to read this post. I'm still really early in my pregnancy (we haven't really even told anyone yet, so mum's the word ;)), but I'm going through a lot of the things you describe: no motivation to blog and little motivation to read blogs (and some of the food blogs I normally like just induce nausea). I feel like I'm letting my readers down, so I'm just hopeful that it will pass soon.

    ReplyDelete