Weekend Review: Wild Comfort by Kathleen Dean Moore

Wild Comfort: The Solace of Nature

In the collection of short essays, Wild Comfort: The Solace of Nature (2010), Kathleen Dean Moore writes both about immersing herself in nature as well as using the natural world as a metaphor to talk about loss and grief and happiness. In the introduction, the author explains that she had set out to write about joy and how one experiences it, but through the course of doing so, she lost several very close people in a short amount of time. This creates an arc in the collection and guides the division of the writings into three sections: Gladness, Solace, and Courage.

Dean Moore has a masterful grasp of language, which she uses in her poetic descriptions of the natural world, her natural encounters, and her personal experiences. She is subtle and avoids the cliches that one might expect in a book that pairs nature with grief. Several times I found myself thinking that I was reading a straightforward description of nature, but then she would ever so slightly lift up the layers and allow me to see that she was also describing an emotional state. I found her writing to be incredibly sober and profound. It was an eloquent expression of coping that I found comforting in thinking about my own encounters with grief. This is a book that I would gladly share with anyone dealing with loss.

3 comments:

  1. I posted a whole thingie earlier today and must not have hit submit!

    I screamed when I saw your review this morning! I had just left the bookstore ASKING if they had this book. They didn't. lol. My husband thought I was crazy, so I had to explain that the last two books I read were off your site, and now a book I have been trying to talk myself into buying for months...YOU REVIEW! lol.

    It was all very funny I can assure you. :) It is late and I am sleepy, but hope you are enjoying the time off from the computer!

    :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny! Great minds, right? :) I think you'll really like this one. It's on my "to buy" list if I ever come across it and have money burning a hole in my pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May money burn a hole in your pocket soon...

    :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete